Call for Participants – European Youth Media Days 2015!
Deadline: August 16, 2015
The European Parliament in collaboration with the European Youth Press invites young people to participate in the European Youth Media Days 2015 and become one of the 77 young journalists reporting from the European Parliament in Brussels between October 20 and 22, 2015. Media freedom is one of the cornerstones in the development of democratic societies in Europe and has become a constitutional guarantee in many European states since WWII as well as one of the fundamental rules in modern European Union.
Participants will experience three days of media workshops, political discussions, hands-on media production and invaluable insights into the European Parliament and international media milieu. They will interact with high-level European politicians, professional journalists and experts and engage in intercultural exchange through practical media production.
- Over the course of the three-day workshop, each young journalist will work to produce a report on the topic of the seminar through their medium of choice – video, photo, radio, print, or multimedia.
- Participants at print, multimedia and photo workshops, furthermore, will have the chance to work in mixed groups and produce a 360° journalistic content.
- This year’s edition brings one more innovation: three participants will produce a short documentary movie about the whole event. During the event it is possible to participate in Prix de l’EYP and win a prize for the best journalism on the topic of media freedom.
- Citizens or legal residents of the EU Members States
- Participants’ travel costs (specific conditions apply, more information will be given after you have been selected) will be reimbursed by the European Parliament 1 to 2 weeks after the event, upon submission of all necessary documents (forms for completion and instructions will be sent by the European Parliament prior to the event).
- The European Parliament will also pay up to 360 Euros lump sum to working journalists (who need to provide a copy of their valid press card or a letter of instruction from their editor stating that they work as a paid journalist) or up to 180 Euros lump sum to journalism students or interns (who need to provide proof (e.g. in the form of a letter) from their university or from the organisation they are interning at) to cover accommodation, meals and local transport.
- The lump sums will be paid at the same time as the travel reimbursement, 1 to 2 weeks after the event.
- The young journalists chosen to participate will have to arrange their own accommodation and travel and provide the necessary documents to the European Parliament for reimbursement.
- Citizens or legal residents of the EU neighbouring countries
- Participants’ travel costs (up to 250 Euros, specific conditions apply, more information will be given after you have been selected) will be reimbursed by the European Youth Press 2 weeks after the event, upon submission of all necessary documents (reimbursement form will be sent by the EYP prior to the event).
- The European Youth Press will also pay up to 250 Euros in total to team members involved in the project to cover accommodation and meals in Brussels. They need to provide originals of the corresponding documents (receipts, invoices) and EYP reimbursement form.
- The lump sums will be paid at the same time with the travel reimbursement, 2 weeks after the event.
- Participants will have to arrange their own travel.
- European Youth Press will assist with finding the accommodation in Brussels.
- Team members are responsible to provide the European Youth Press with all necessary documents requested for reimbursement.
- Open to young journalists aged between 18 and 30 who are citizens or legal residents of a EU Member State or neighbouring country only.
- Young journalists from any other countries can participate at their own costs and need to contact the organisers prior to August 9.
- The event will be held in English, so a working level of the language is required.
- Participants applying for the documentary workshop need to demonstrate experience in documentary filmmaking or video-reporting as well as to bring the camera and editing software.
- Complete online form to submit your application. The application should include:
- Your CV;
- Motivation letter and
- The links to two media samples (of any type).
- If you have any questions, please send an email with the subject “EYMD 2015 questions” to [email protected]
For more information, visit European Youth Media Days 2015.