Deadline: August 15, 2015
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and DBR Design Build Research School are now seeking entries for TREEHOUSING, an international wood design competition in the context of the XIV World Forestry Congress. Housing for the world’s growing urban population and the threat of deforestation are two of the most significant issues facing humanity today.
TREEHOUSING GLOBAL challenges participants to design affordable housing on a site of their choosing, anywhere in the world with a focus on improving and providing global housing solutions in wood. Design solutions must use wood as the primary structural system. Any sustainably harvested wood material or product is possible, even those not yet invented. Every culture and region of the world has a unique perspective and relationship to the forest that may bring value to the entrants proposed design for this challenge.
There are two open categories:
- Category 1 – TREEHOUSING DURBAN: Tall Wood Housing.
- Category 2 – TREEHOUSING GLOBAL: Affordable Wood Housing.
Winners will be selected by an international jury and announced on September 10, 2015 at the XIV World Forestry Congress in Durban, South Africa. The jury will be led by Canadian architect Michael Green, who is known for his research, leadership and advocacy in promoting the use of wood. Green founded Michael Green Architecture (MGA) to focus on progressive architecture, research, education and innovation and is author of The Case for Tall Wood Buildings, which introduces wood as a major opportunity for systematic change in the building industry.
- A first prize of $6,000 will be awarded in each category;
- Second Prize of $3,000 in each category;
- Student Prizes of $2,000 for teams composed entirely of students entrants;
- Publication of the top 5 entries in each category.
- Open to Architecture students, Architects, Engineers and other Designers.
- Only teams composed entirely of students are eligible for the additional student prizes.
- See more about submission requirements.
- Register for the competition by August 15, 2015.
- Design a TREEHOUSING solution.
- Submit your entry by 5:00pm CET on August 31, 2015.