Call For Applications: Become a Next Einstein Forum (NEF) African Ambassador!
Deadline: August 31, 2015
Become an ambassador for the Next Einstein Forum (NEF). NEF is looking to create a team of 54 young Ambassadors, one from each African country, to participate in the NEF Global Gathering 2016, champion African science, technology, engineering and math globally and become part of the growing NEF community.
NEF is a new global forum for science in Africa that will propel Africa onto the global scientific stage. NEF will unite more than 500 outstanding thinkers and distinguished stakeholders from around the world together in Africa. The NEF Global Gathering which is schedule to take place in Senegal (March 8-10th 2016) will touch on the three pillars of science, society and policy and it would showcase Africa’s top young scientists, connecting them with leaders from Africa and the rest of the world.
Eligible applicants must meet the following requirement:
- 42 years of age or less as of 31 December, 2015.
- Resident of an African country.
- A history of leadership and engagement in the community.
- Advanced studies or professional certificates, personal projects, demonstrated entrepreneurial achievements and similar – a Doctorate is not required.
- Applicants are encouraged from all fields of science, including basic sciences, STEM, health and social science fields.
- Demonstrated passion for raising Africa’s profile in science and/or social science.
- An active profile in the community of work/study and/or online including social media.
- Able to clearly communicate to an audience in English or French.
Responsibilities of Ambassadors
- Act as NEF’s ambassador, representing one’s own country at NEF events.
- Write original content and cross-post content for the NEF, including but not limited to blog articles, news updates on science in one’s local community, profiles of scientists in one’s community, and other activities to promote the NEF.
- Actively promote the NEF to social media followers and regularly contribute ideas to the NEF team about ways to keep the online community informed and interested in the NEF.
- Ambassadors should expect to spend a total of between 1 to 2 hours per week writing, editing, posting updates, news and articles related to science in Africa and the NEF, and conversing with NEF Fellows and the scientific community at large. The hours may increase during the week of the Global Gathering event.
- Make presentations to students, audiences, special classes and events about the NEF and science in Africa
- Other responsibilities suggested and recommended by the Ambassadors.
- Represent your country at NEF events.
- Attend the prestigious, invitation-only NEF Global Gathering with all costs covered. The event will include Nobel Prize winners, heads of state and representatives from leading global corporations.
- Participate in interviews, panels and the showcasing of research, NEF work and articles on science, social science and technology, among other events during/following the NEF Global Gathering.
- Have the opportunity to network with other experts and NEF Fellows, as well as top scientists, social scientists and technology leaders from around the world.
- Influence science, social science and technology policy through NEF articles and documents and share their own work.
- Pitch your own projects and ideas to high profile NEF members and contribute to the establishment of a positive global view of science in Africa.
Qualification will be based on academic and leadership potential. Examples of notable achievements to be considered in the selection of a NEF Ambassador include:
- Membership in professional associations/bodies
- Leadership role in projects/activities/communities
- Entrepreneurial activities
- Articles/blogs/applications published
- Prizes and other awards in high ranking bodies, academies, communities etc.
- The type and number of invited talks at national, regional and international conferences
- Past academic achievements and involvements
- Volunteer and internship experience
How to Apply
- A photograph
- two-minute video answering the personal statement questions below: (I) What I want to learn from and share at the NEF Global Gathering? (II) What are at least three strategies I will use to share this knowledge with at least 20,000 people when I return to my country?
- For you application to be considered, please send your completed application with all requested information and requirements before midnight GMT 31 August 2015 to [email protected]