Deadline: October 15, 2015
Eisenhower Fellowships (EF) is now accepting applications for the 2016 Africa Program taking place in the United States from October 2 – November 18, 2016. EF exists to inspire leaders around the world to challenge themselves to think beyond their current scope, to engage others, and to leverage their own talents to better the world around them. It provides a unique leadership development opportunity for individuals who have a demonstrated track record of significant professional and community achievements and who seek to tackle big challenges in the future.
About the Fellowship
This is an international program that brings a total of two dozen outstanding mid-career Fellows to the U.S. for an intensive program. Over a seven-week period, each Fellow receives an intensive, individually-designed program in his or her professional field. The program begins and ends with group leadership development seminars in Philadelphia. During their travels, Fellows identify specific projects they will undertake upon returning home.
Competitive candidates articulate goals for the fellowship program and propose steps to achieve them. EF seeks ascendant leaders who are committed to making the world more peaceful, prosperous and just, and who are committed to a lifelong engagement with EF’s network of 1,400 active leaders around the world.
- Eisenhower Fellowships seeks a diverse mix of applicants, ages 32-45, from a wide range of professional sectors.
- Successful candidates demonstrate in their application that they think strategically and have demonstrated the leadership and management skills needed to realize their goals.
- In addition to more general fellowship objectives, Fellows are required to work on a project throughout the fellowship. The application must clearly describe the project on which the fellowship will be a significant focus.
- Fellows must have the creativity required to take full advantage of this unparalleled opportunity; the ability to articulate clear goals for their program; and a vision of how they might use the experience to have a consequential impact which betters the world.
- A unique feature of an Eisenhower Fellowship is that it supports the participation of spouses/partners. A spouse/partner may accompany a Fellow for two to three weeks under EF sponsorship. However, children may not accompany Fellows or their spouses/partners on fellowship travel.
- Fellows must agree to return to their country of residence at the end of the fellowship period in accordance with U.S. law.
- Fellowships are awarded for the specific timeframe (listed above) which cannot be modified. Each fellowship is designated for a specific time period with fixed arrival and departure dates and cannot be deferred. It is important to consider carefully whether your professional and personal circumstances will allow you to devote the necessary time to prepare for and to participate in this seven-week fellowship program.
How to Apply
Candidates from the seven countries listed below should apply directly to Eisenhower Fellowships using the online application.
- 1. Ghana
- 2. Kenya
- 3. Nigeria
- 4. Rwanda
- 5. South Africa
- 6. Tanzania
- 7. Zimbabwe
Candidates from other countries in Sub-Saharan Africa will be considered if they have a track record of regional impact and are nominated by a member of the Africa Leadership Steering Committee or a member of the Eisenhower Fellowships’ global network. Nominated candidates should apply by using the online application.
For more information, visit Eisenhower Fellowships for Africa.