UNAOC is Hiring a Political Affairs & Peace Advocacy Consultant- USA
Deadline: November 1, 2015
In preparation for its Seventh Global Forum, UNAOC is hiring a short term (November 20, 2015-April 30, 2016) consultant. United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) is an initiative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, which responds to a broad consensus across nations, cultures and religions that all societies are interdependent, bound together in their development and security, and in their environmental, economic and financial well-being.
In April 2016, the Alliance and the Host Government of Azerbaijan will organize the Seventh Global Forum of the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations. Nearly 3,000 participants (state and non-state representatives) are expected to take part in the Forum and engage in various working sessions, side events, pre-Forum Youth Event, plenaries and other important sessions.
This is a Local position; therefore it is open to US Nationals and /or candidates with permit to work in the USA.
- Master’s degree in peace studies, social sciences, political science, international relations, international development, public administration, or another related field
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in the field of preventing and countering violent extremism, addressing growing radicalization and terrorism across the regions;
- Experience in organization of large scale events, preferably at the international level;
- Knowledge of key research institutions and think tanks; UN agencies and entities, as well as other international organizations that are directly mandated to or support efforts in preventing/countering violent extremism, whether on policy or programmes levels (including, but not limiting to UNDPA, UNCTITF, UNCCT);
- Knowledge of the existing legislation, United Nations Security Council resolutions and policies adopted by the international community on preventing/countering violent extremism, including the United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy and its current status of implementation;
- Knowledge of the work of the United Nations Organization, its mandate, main areas of focus; United Nations bodies, agencies, entities and departments; current priorities issues.
1) Forum Programme and Concept Note:
- Conduct research on the issues of violent extremism and its prevention (PVE); challenges of conflicts based on ethnic, religious or cultural differences, and ways to address them; peacebuilding practices, methods and trends on local, regional and international levels; role of civil society, media, UN institutions in preventing conflicts based on the principles of tolerance, dialogue and promotion of a culture of peace;
- Contribute substantive inputs to the concept note of the Forum on PVE and related topics;
- Assist in collecting potential speakers and moderators’ bios, contact and other information that would be required for their participation in the Forum;
- Support outreach efforts to secure participation of the prominent experts and high level personalities in the Forum;
- Provide logistical and coordination support during the Forum;
- Participate in the conference calls of the Forum Organizing Committee and follow up on the various assignments determined by the organizers.
2) Forum Plenary and Breakout Sessions:
- Assist in drafting concept notes of the breakout and plenary sessions of the Forum that would focus on PVE and related topics;
- In line with the approved Forum Programme, conduct research on PVE policies, measures undertaken by governments and international organizations to date; compile data and research names of experts and personalities which may be invited to contribute to the sessions focusing on PVE and related topics;
- Facilitate communication between a moderator and selected speakers of the plenary and breakout sessions, to ensure smooth preparation from content and coordination perspectives.
3) Perform other relevant duties as required by the UNAOC Director.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates must submit their resumes or Curriculum Vitae, including a letter of interest via e-mail to email@example.com by 5 PM ET on November 1, 2015.
Kindly indicate the vacancy title in the subject line when applying by email. The first lines of the email application must state the following in this exact format:
Gender: (male / female)
Years of relevant experience:
Degrees / Industry Certifications: (abbreviation and name of school/college/uni).
UNAOC reserves the right to reject any application without the above format in the submission email.
For more information, visit UNAOC Careers
Are you interested in working for UNAOC ? Please visit UNAOC Vacancy for other openings!!!