2016 Internships with USAID Africa Bureau (Africa & Washington DC Locations)
Deadline: December 31, 2015
USAID Africa Bureau is offering a few summer 2016 internships at its missions in sub-Saharan Africa as well as in Washington, D.C. This is an excellent opportunity for outstanding students interested in pursuing careers in international development.
- Students must be American citizens (Students that possess dual citizenship are very unlikely to receive a security clearance).
- Students must be college juniors, seniors, or graduate students at the time of their application. Student status will be verified by USAID.
- Students should inform their university’s office of international programs or the equivalent that they are applying for an internship. It is in the interest of the student that the university be aware of the application.
- Applicants should be studying relevant disciplines (public policy, economics, journalism, agricultural economics, agronomy, public administration, law, management, political science, health, etc.)
- Students desiring internships in Francophone Africa must be proficient in French. Students desiring internships in Lusophone Africa must be proficient in Portuguese or Spanish
How to Apply
Students will apply online at the USAID web site. The online application form will ask you to fill in basic information as well as a description of your foreign language skills and overseas experience. You will also be asked to submit a statement of intent, and resume (or CV) online. The statement of intent should discuss your interests in development and indicate how the internship fits into your career goals.
- A cover letter or statement of intent (please do not exceed 1 page single space) outlining your particular strengths/goals; discussing what development issues interest you; explaining your expectations for the internship; and describing why you think you would be a good candidate;
- A resume or CV;
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty (employers are also acceptable); Two (2) letters of recommendation are required for each applicant. Letters can be written by professors, employers, and other supervisors who can speak to the applicant’s suitability for this internship. Please ensure that each letter of recommendation includes complete contact information (email, phone, and mailing address)
- Additional information that is required by the on-line application form.