Deadline: December 31, 2016
The Islamic Development Bank is offering several merit scholarship for postgraduate studies. The objective of the programme is to develop technically qualified human resources in the IDB member countries by providing scholarships to promising and outstanding scholars and researchers to undertake advanced studies and research in the fields of applied science and technology needed for the development of the member countries.
The Programme is designed to help promising research students to pursue a full-time three-year Ph.D study in scientific disciplines that enhance development in IDB member countries, with priority to
- Agriculture/Food Production,
- Water Resources/Desertification,
- Energy/Infrastructure Development,
- Nanotechnology and
- ICT for Development.
The Programme is also designed to help researchers to undertake a six-twelve month specific innovative post-doctoral research project to address a problem-solving matter in member countries such as Malaria, Corona, Ebola, Food production, Water Resources/Desertification, Energy, etc.
To be eligible for the scholarship, the applicant must meet the following basic criteria:
- Age not over (a) 35 years for Ph.D. study, and (b) 40 years for Post-Doctoral research;
- Attached to a research/academic/development institution in science and technology in their respective country;
- Must possess the required academic background in the related field of their proposed study/research and have some professional/research experience in the respective field;
- Demonstrate that the research proposal has scientific and technological relevance with the objective of meeting the priority development needs of the country;
- Have good command of the language of the institution of study and the ability to conduct scientific work in it.
- The successful candidate for the PhD programme must secure admission at one of the universities listed in the Times Higher Education Supplement (THES). Priority shall be given to those Ph.D. applicants who have secured admission at universities that have concluded a cooperation agreement with the IDB such as University of Cambridge, University of Nottingham, University of York and University College London and Imperial College London in the UK, Princeton University in USA, Paris-Tech in France and KAUST in Saudi Arabia, etc.
- The successful candidates for Post-doctoral research are invited to undertake their research project at Research Centres of Excellence which have the facilities and equipment to undertake cutting-edge research projects, both in IDB member countries as well as in advanced countries.
IDB member countries: Guinea Bissau, Libya, Malaysia, Nigeria, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Togo, Turkey, Uganda, Yemen, Tajikistan, Gabon, Indonesia, Gambia, Guinea, Jordan, Iran, Iraq, Kyrgyz, Lebanon, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Pakistan, Mozambique, Cameroon, Niger, Palestine, Chad, Cote dIvoire, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Djibouti, Tunisia, Uzbekistan, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Algeria, Azerbaijan, Benin, Sierra Leone, Kazakhstan, Egypt, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Albania, Bangladesh, Somalia, Senegal and Comoro
The scholarship covers the following benefits and entitlements:
- All academic expenses
- Living allowances
- Health Insurance
- Round trip air-tickets to and from place of study
- Conference Participation allowance
- Scientific Paper preparation allowance
How to Apply
The applications must be submitted through the nominating institutions to the Office of the IDB Governor for the country. It is the Office of the IDB Governor that will forward the applications to the IDB and not the individual applicants or the nominating institutions. As for Egypt, applications should be forwarded through the Ministry of Higher Education, Egypt instead of Office of the IDB Governor. Applications sent directly to the IDB will not be considered
For more information, visit IBD MST for High Technology.