Deadline February 29, 2016
The World Youth Foundation in collaboration with Ministry of Women, Family & Community Development Malaysia, Ministry of Youth and Sports Malaysia and various other agencies will be hosting the International Conference on Child Marriage.
The International Conference on Child Marriage: Strength in Unity, Girls Are Not Brides – A Global Youth Partnerships to End Child Marriage will provide an opportunity for young people to discuss, understand, share, find solutions and develop strategies on issues pertaining to youth and child marriage that can be implemented at country level.
The International Conference will engage approximately 100 young leaders from across the world. The four-day International Conference will operate primarily in an interactive mode. During the four days, key issues relating to Child Marriage will be presented by local and foreign speakers in the form of interactive lectures, case studies, video documentaries, skills sharing workshops, utilizing multi-media and informal discussions through active participation among participants. On the last day of the International Conference participants will formulate a Youth Action Plan andVoluntary Pledges.
Tittle and Theme International Conference on Child Marriage: “Strength in Unity, Girls are Not Brides A Global Youth Partnership to End Child Marriage”
Dates: 19 – 22nd May , 2016
Platform: Presentations, Panel Discussion, Interactive Workshop, Round table Discussions, Networking, SDG Related Skills Building Training etc
Speakers : Renowned speakers, expert workshop facilitators; young leaders
- To raise awareness of the above issues and the related dangers.
- To educate and empower youths worldwide, both men and women about human rights and attitudes towards gender.
- To increase the awareness and responsiveness of law enforcement, governments to the issues of gender violence including child bride.
- To share experiences and good practices as well as challenges on ending child marriages at country, regional and international levels.
- To develop stronger coordination among youth advocates, youth organizations, NGOs, UN bodies and related stakeholders.
- To encourage authorities to set up preventative measures/courses to roll out in primary & secondary education and community centres .
- Young people between the ages of 18-30 (however some flexibility will be exercised as the definition of youth varies from country to country);
- Scholars/Experts in the field of gender inequality & gender violence and more specifically the issues mentioned above;
- An official of the Ministry of Women, Family and Community Development, Ministry of Youth and Sports or related government agency;
- Representative from UN Women/ UNICEF or related agencies ;
- Representatives from NGOs/civil society organizations or related stakeholders who provide support for those victims or those who have been affected ;
- Have a good understanding of the theme and the relevant policies in their respective countries;
- Proficient in English and able to do presentations in English, is a must;
- Possess good communication and interpersonal skills, and problem solving abilities, with adaptability and flexibility;
- Motivated to improve the lives of others and their actions and work;
- Capable and willing to share experiences and resources with others in the community and contribute to the follow-up process of the International Conference on Child Marriage: Strength in Unity, Girls Are Not Brides – A Global Youth Partnerships to End Child Marriage
- Willing and being able to participate actively for the whole duration of the event;
- Geographical and gender balance will be respected.
Successful applicants will be expected to collect and bring to the International Conference key information about their local context and issues pertaining to Child Marriage.
Early Bird Registration (on / before 28th February 2016)
- Local Participants – RM 450.00
- International Students Staying in Malaysia – RM 450.00
- International Participants – USD 110.00
Late Registration (after 28th February 2016)
- Local Participants – RM 540.00
- International Students Staying in Malaysia – RM 540.00
- International Participants – USD 120.00
Note: There are no funds available for air travel subsidy. Hence participants are required to fund their own air-travel. The Foundation will provide accommodation, meals and local hospitality for the duration of the International Conference.
All participants must register here for the conference.
For more information, visit World Youth Foundation.