NEPAD Young Professionals Programme 2016 for Africans
Deadline: February 8, 2016
The New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD) is now accepting applications for the 2016 Young Professionals Programme (YPP). The programme is aimed at providing a pool of talented, multidisciplinary young professionals who will assist the NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency (NPCA) achieve its mandate.
Through the NEPAD YPP, the NPCA aims to improve excellence in the delivery of its mandate by attracting motivated young Africans to serve in various capacities towards achieving the NEPAD vision and agenda. In addition, the YPP offers African young professionals the opportunity to develop technical and leadership skills whilst enhancing their practical working knowledge of Africa’s developmental strategies premised on NEPAD.
About NEPAD YPP
NEPAD is a programme of the African Union adopted in 2001 in Lusaka, Zambia, aimed primarily at poverty alleviation and promotion of economic growth and sustainable development in Africa.
The YPP focuses on three (3) key programme-components:
- Internship Programme: to provide opportunities for graduate and postgraduate students from diverse academic backgrounds to enhance their educational experience through practical work assignments and periodic attachments at the NEPAD Agency.
- Fellowship Programme: to assist AU Member States especially NEPAD national focal points to have an in-depth understanding of the NPCA mandate and NEPAD implementation.
- Volunteer Programme: to mobilize volunteers to serve and support the NEPAD Agenda and African development in general.
Job Title: Intern
Position Level: Young Professional
Tenure: The placement will be made on a NEPAD short-term contract for 6 months
Duty Station: NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency, Midrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Supervisor: Advisor, NEPAD Science and Technology Innovation Hub
In line with the NEPAD Young Professionals Programme (YPP), the remuneration is in form of a stipend / basic allowance.
- Review of STI, Education and Health Indicators in alignment with AU Agenda 2063, Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and other related AU Policy Instruments
- Planning and execution of data Collection
- Data management
- Analysis and Reporting
- Demonstrated commitment to the African development (field experience on the continent and/or in other developing countries is an added advantage).
- Knowledge in research methodology, data collection, entry, statistical data analysis and reporting is a requirement.
- Ability to design studies including identification of variables and appropriate analysis methodology, designing of data collection tools and plan for data collection.
- Ability to conduct interview with respondents, conduct focus group discussions and review of existing documents.
- Ability to interpret statistical data analysis results.
- Ability to draft reports.
- Citizen of an AU member country or an African in the Diaspora
- High level of integrity and accountability, flexible approaches to work coupled with enthusiasm, commitment and energetic.
- Maintain confidentiality at the highest level at all times.
- Possess good analytical and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in English; knowledge of French will be considered as an asset.
- Good judgment and analytical ability.
- Proactive approach to foresee road-blocks and resolve them.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Candidates must hold a minimum of a university degree in Economics, Statistics, Social Sciences or related technical field, while current enrolment or the completion of a post-graduate degree will be an added advantage.
- Candidates should have two (2) to five (5) years post-University qualifications.
Other relevant skills
- Proficient with statistical data analysis packages such as SPSS, Stata, Microsoft Access and any other data analysis packages.
- Good knowledge of MS-Office suite
How to Apply
To apply, please submit the following:
- A motivation letter stating reasons for seeking YPP position with the NEPAD Agency
- CV not exceeding three (3) pages and indicating your nationality, age and gender.
- One (1) referee with good knowledge of the candidate’s work, furnishing full contact details, telephone, fax and e-mail addresses.
- Certified copies of degrees and diplomas.
Applications must be received not later than Monday, 08 February 2016, and should be addressed to:
For more information, visit NEPAD Young Professionals Programme