SANDEE – Summer School in Environmental and Resource Economics 2016 (Funded)
Deadline: February 26, 2016
The South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economics (SANDEE) is now accepting applications for the Summer School in Environmental and Resource Economics from May 9 – 26, 2016. The workshop seeks to introduce economists to different themes in environment and development economics and to provide skills to teach and carry out research in this area. Economists interested in upgrading their knowledge and developing research proposals for later submission to SANDEE are invited to apply.
The Summer School will cover topics related to the inter-linkages between environment and development, including common property resources, externalities and market failures, non-market valuation, ecosystem services and environment and health. Participants will be exposed to theoretical issues, economic methods and training in STATA.
SANDEE will cover costs of course material, international travel, food and stay during the Summer School for deserving candidates, which will be around $2500.
Institutions who would like to train their researchers can send suitable candidates bearing the above costs.
All participants are required to pay a $100 registration fee and are responsible for local travel, visa fees and all other personal expenses.
- The ideal participant has a Masters or Ph.D. in economics and understands microeconomics, calculus and basic econometrics.
- Junior to mid-career university faculty and researchers, especially women, are encouraged to apply.
- Priority will be given to researchers with research proposals submitted to SANDEE.
- Candidates trained in environmental economics or planning on overseas graduate education are not eligible to apply.
Participants are expected to read material prior to coming to the Summer School and before lectures, complete assignments and present a research concept note. Working days may extend beyond 9 am to 5 pm.
You can check the agenda for the last course here.
How to Apply
Interested and eligible candidates from South Asian countries can apply with the following information (not exceeding 5 pages total):
- a one-page cover letter indicating how such a course will be useful in teaching and research activities, the applicant’s exposure to basic mathematics (e.g., calculus, linear algebra) and computing skills (e.g., spread sheet, statistical software), and the name of the person nominating him/her (if any):
- a three page research concept note (a precursor of a research proposal) in one of these three topics – Ecosystem Services, Economics of Climate Change and Policies and Programs for Greener Development. The concept note should include a discussion on the research problem and its policy relevance, a clear research question(s), a short literature review that discusses at least 3 key peer reviewed journal articles related to the proposed analytical framework, empirical methods (data requirement, collection and analysis) and expected outcomes.
- a brief CV (no more than one page) indicating professional responsibilities/activities, (please include current job and institutional details), educational qualifications, (highest degree/ institution), date of birth and two most important research publications, if any.
For more information, visit SANDEE Summer School.