POGO-SCOR Visiting Fellowships for Oceanographic Observations
Deadline: April 15, 2016
Applications are open for the 2016 POGO-SCOR Visiting Fellowships for Oceanographic Observations. This programme is jointly funded by POGO and the Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR) and is designed to promote training and capacity building leading towards a global observation scheme for the oceans. The Programme has been a success for over fifteen years, with over 160 fellowships awarded since 2001. Its main purpose is to advance sustained ocean observations and their applications. Priority is given to applicants in early stages of career development.
This fellowship is intended to support training in oceanographic observations, not research techniques. It offers the opportunity to visit other oceanographic centres for a short period (1 to 3 months) for training on any aspect of oceanographic observations, analyses, and interpretation.
- The fellowship does not constitute a salary or bursary, but has a contribution to travelling and living expenses calculated on a monthly basis; See Stipend Calculation.
- The fellowship will provide international airfare and subsistence allowance for the fellowship period;
- The trainee’s institute will bear all expenses incurred by the fellow in his/her own nation (domestic travel, visa costs, travel insurance etc.) and the host institute will waive any bench fees that they may normally charge trainees;
- POGO and SCOR do not cover any of the expenses related to the training itself (such as laboratory consumables).
- The fellowship program is open to scientists, technicians, graduate students (preferably PhD) and post-doctoral fellows involved in oceanographic work at centres in developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
- Candidate should be from any of these countries.
- Download Application Form.
- Fellowship applicants should complete and submit electronically the application form together with a recommendation letter from the parent supervisor and a letter of aceptance from the prospective host supervisor.
- Only parent supervisor recommendation letter needs to be submitted as a hard copy. The letter from the prospective host supervisor should state the standard costs per calendar month for accommodation in the loca area.
- Only applications that are complete in all respects wll be considered for the fellowship.
- The applicant is responsible for identifying a suitable host supervisor and obtaining their agreement to host the fellowship.
Please send electronic versions of completed applications and attachments by email to [email protected]
In addition, mail the signed original parent supervisor reccommendation to:
Plymouth Marine Laboratory
Plymouth PL1 3DH