Atlas Corps English Teaching Fellowship 2016 (All Expenses Paid)
Deadline: May 1, 2016
Do you want to impact, inspire and educate in Latin America? Interested in international development and increasing social mobility? Are you ready to join a global network of inspired individuals? Here is a chance for you to teach English in Colombia.
Apply for the Atlas Corps Paid Teaching Fellowship. This unique overseas experience is an opportunity to enhance your own professional portfolio while inspiring a generation of learners in Colombia.
About the Fellowship
The Atlas Corps English Teaching Fellowship (ETF) is an English teaching opportunity in Colombia for emerging professionals. This opportunity is a new collaboration between Atlas Corps, Heart for Change, Volunteers Colombia, the Ministry of Education and Servicio Nacional de Aprendizaje (SENA) to facilitate the development of a prosperous Colombia where children and youth have the opportunity to receive a high-quality bilingual education. It is Colombia’s largest bilingual program. In its first year, 350 Fellows taught alongside 1,050 Colombian teachers, strengthening English education for nearly 98,000 public high school students in 33 cities.
- April 2016 (SENA placements only) – April 10 – December 15, 2016
- June 2016 (MEN and SENA): June Fellows replace one-semester teachers from January, so the number of positions depends on how many January teachers choose to extend their contract. Placements should be known in April.
- SENA start date: June 4, 2016
- MEN start date: July 3, 2016
Fellows learn leadership skills in an international context while inspiring English language skills in Colombian youth. Benefits of this prestigious fellowship program include:
- A two-week orientation in Bogotá, Colombia
- Visa and Colombian ID
- Training in pedagogy
- Certificate of program completion
- Colombian medical insurance
- A 1,500,000 Colombian Peso (COP) monthly stipend
- First month free accommodation
- Bonus upon completion of the program
- 24/7 support from Regional Coordinators
- Co-teaching with experienced Colombian English teachers
- Transportation from Bogotá to your placement city
In addition, Atlas Corps offers concrete professional development opportunities to our English Teaching Fellows, such as access to our network of over 400 social change leaders from 75 countries, live-streaming of the VIP speakers at our Global Leadership Lab and participation in our professional development webinars.
- Teach and/or co-teach with a local Colombia English instructor 25 hours per week of English instruction, including teaching, co-teaching, and conversation clubs
- Participate in a two-way learning process in about 15 hours per week to improve English proficiency, which may include administrative-related activities, such as lesson planning, meetings with fellow teachers, paperwork, etc.
- Attend local partners training days, schedule will coordinate with placement site.
- Develop reports and follow up processes, as the supervisor requires.
- Before arrival candidates must pay a $400 USD deposit, which will be returned to them upon successful completion of their contract.
- Applicants must pay for their own travel to and from Colombia.
- Participants will work at facilities throughout Colombia.
- Placement cities for 2016 include: Bogotá, Medellín, Armenia, Manizales, Pereira, Ibagué, Cali, Cartagena, Barranquilla, Santa Marta, Villavicencio, Valledupar, Bucaramanga, Buga, Pasto, Popayán, Villa de Leyva, Neiva, Palmira, Itagui, Caldas and a number of small towns.
- Applicants will learn more about specific cities during the application process. We encourage applicants to be flexible.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- English language skills, as native language proficiency or equivalent
- Spanish language skills, at basic level or higher (we encourage all levels of Spanish to apply)
- Interest in serving in an educational environment (we will provide the methodology, you provide the inspiration and energy)
- Age range between 21 to 50
1. Online Application: All applications need to be submitted online. We will not accept applications via email or mail. You will need to create a login and you can save your responses so you can return to the application at any time. The application consists of background information and a personal biography.
2. Review Process: Applications will be reviewed by the Selection Board—a trained group of professionals that includes representatives from Atlas Corps, Volunteers Colombia and Heart for Change. Atlas Corps and our partners in Colombia will both conduct Skype Interviews. Our partners will then make their final recommendations to Atlas Corps, and Atlas Corps will notify the selected candidates.
3. Visa Process: After being selected, candidates will receive information about how to apply for a TP-1 visa online. Volunteers Colombia and Heart for Change will provide support in obtaining this visa.
For more information, visit Atlas Corps English Teaching Fellowship.