Bakwa Magazine Short Story Competition – Prize Up to FCFA 150,000!
Deadline: July 31, 2016
Bakwa magazine, the leading online literary and cultural magazine in English in Cameroon, which has been at the forefront of cross-cultural exchange, intends to celebrate emerging writers from Cameroon by giving them the opportunity to submit stories which, inasmuch as embrace realism, also highlight fantasy, science fiction, magic realism, romance, epic, political allegory and satire. The best stories submitted for the competition will subsequently be published in an anthology in 2017. A series of post-competition events will include writing workshops, readings and a number of translation projects, as well as publicity via social media and news outlets.
- The winner will receive FCFA 100,000, while the runner-up will receive FCFA 50,000.
The judging process will be anonymous. The prize administrators will make sure that all personal information is removed before sending the stories to the judges.
- Open to Cameroonians between the ages of 18 – 39, who live in Cameroon or elsewhere.;
- Entries may be in English or French.;
- Stories must be unpublished.
- Submissions should be sent to [email protected];
- Stories should range between 3000 – 5000 words and the only acceptable formats include PDF and Word (.doc and .docx) files.
- The email should include the author’s name, email, phone number and country of residence as well as the attached short story. Anyone who is unable to submit via email should email organizers for alternate submission means.
- When submitting, the subject of the email should be “Story Competition” + “Title of Story” for example: Story Competition, Beasts of No Nation.
- Submit one entry per person; multiple submissions will not be accepted.
For more information, visit Bakwa Magazine Short Story Competition.