Deadline: May 31, 2016
The State of the Union Coalition (SOTU) calls out for submissions of articles from journalists working in the 10 African countries SOTU has membership; Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon, Senegal, Kenya, Rwanda, Malawi, Mozambique, South Africa and Tunisia. The competition is open to African journalists reporting on Human Rights and Governance issues in the print and digital media.
The State of the Union Coalition (SOTU) is a coalition of civil society organizations working together to advocate for the ratification, domestication, and implementation of African Union (AU) instruments (i.e. treaties, policy frameworks and standards).
Theme: Human Rights and Governance in Africa
Your article must fall into one of these categories;
- 1. Corruption
- 2. Food Security
- 3. Women
- 4. Youth
- The competition shall be open to all print media journalists who are citizens of AU member states and who are based in Africa and whose publications are published in AU member states.
- The competition is open to all bona fide practising journalists from Africa who must be African Citizens.
- The articles must make reference to at least 1 of the 14 SOTU focus AU legal instruments & policy standards. Refer to them on; http://www.sotu-africa.org/about-us
- Entries must be in the 4 select African Union languages; i) English ii) French iii) Portuguese and iv) Arabic
Entries will be evaluated on their potential to educate and inform diverse audiences about issues related to African Union Agenda in line with the theme of the awards. The judges will score entries on the following criteria.
- Accuracy and fairness
- Present innovative or enhanced approach on issues
- Relevance to the public policy and debate
- Easily understood by the targeted audience
- Quality of presentation
Winners in each of the categories will receive $500 and the overall winner will receive an additional cash prize of $500.
How to Enter
- Interested journalists are invited to submit entries to the SOTU Secretariat.
- Fill in the entry form. Click to download
- The entries for print should be a scanned copy of the published article with accompanying word version, for digital send a link and a word copy of the article. Submissions should be sent electronically to [email protected]
For any inquiries about the competition email SOTU Secretariat: [email protected]
For more information, visit SOTU Journalism Competition