Etisalat Prize for Literature 2016 (£15,000, Book Tour and Fellowship for Winner)
Deadline: August 31, 2016
Entries are now accepted for the Etisalat Prize for Literature 2016. The Prize celebrates new writers of African citizenship whose first fiction book (over 30,000 words) was published in the last twenty four (24) months. For the purposes of this definition, first book means first printed production in book form of any type or genre.
The Etisalat Prize for Literature is unique in that it also aims to promote the publishing industry at large and will therefore purchase 1000 copies of all shortlisted books which will be donated to various schools, book clubs and libraries across the African continent. Authors and their publishers can be based anywhere in the world.
- The winner of the Etisalat Prize for Literature receives £15,000, and a high end device.
- In line with Etisalat’s vision of promoting upcoming writers, they will sponsor a book tour to three African cities.
- The winning writer will also embark on the Etisalat Fellowship at the University of East Anglia mentored by Professor Giles Foden (author of The Last King of Scotland) which will include significant opportunities to meet other writers, publishers and most importantly work on their second book.
- The book was first published between May 1 2014 & May 31 2016;
- The book was published in english and by an author of african citizenship;
- All shortlisted and winning authors will cooperate fully with Etisalat Corporate Communications, making themselves available for interviews, events and other opportunities;
- Shortlisted entries by non-African based publishers require co-publisher partnership with an African based publisher.
Criteria for Entry
- Submissions will only be accepted from publishing houses;
- All books entered should have a registered ISBN number or equivalent;
- Entries by new writers must be published within the last 24 months before submission;
- Entries for fiction books will be submitted by publishers who have published a minimum of six (6) authors;
- Publisher should have been a registered business (with certificate of incorporation as a publisher) for minimum of six years;
- Each publisher will be allowed to enter a maximum of three (3) books – however books maybe called in by the judges;
- Each entry will be required to be accompanied by Seven (7) copies of the book being entered along with acceptance of publicity terms;
- The Etisalat Prize for Literature is not open to employees of any organisation under Emirates Telecommunications Corporation with branded trade name Etisalat.
- Fill and download the application form;
- The application form should be submitted along with seven (7) copies of the published book to the Etisalat contact address.
For more information, visit Etisalat Prize for Literature.