Fund for Internet Research and Education (FIRE) Awards 2016
Deadline: September 2, 2016
The African Network Information Centre (AFRINIC) announces the call for applications for the 2016 FIRE Awards. The FIRE Africa Awards seek to acknowledge innovative initiatives in Africa that have made concrete contributions through the use of information and communications technologies and have had a proven impact on the region’s social and economic development. The FIRE Programme Awards are granted to initiatives already completed or in their final implementation phase, aligned with the three funding categories.
- Technical innovation for Internet access and development. Network operation, accelerating and expanding access, devices, infrastructure, the Internet of Things, IPv6 deployment, security, development of open standards, Internet Governance, and regulations for expanding and accelerating access. Innovative solutions offering low cost deployment, low power consumption and low maintenance that expanded fixed and mobile access to the internet through new forms of technical and organisational arrangements as well as improved the quality of access based on issues of accessibility, disability and linguistic diversity.
- Internet and technologies for social inclusion, strengthening democracy and the exercise of rights and freedoms. Initiatives related to freedom of expression, freedom of association, privacy, security, consumer’s rights, new forms of intellectual property in the digital environment, and a wider range of issues related to Internet and human rights.
- Internet and technology for social and economic development. ICT for community development and poverty reduction. New uses of ICT in the health, education, industry, environment, agriculture, and other sectors.
Selected winners will receive a project prize of USD 3,000 plus full travel and accommodation for one representative of each project to attend the awards ceremony, and participate in sessions which will be held in Mexico during the 2016 Internet Governance Forum.
- Open to African organisations, entrepreneurs and innovators.
- Applications from post conflict regions and marginalized groups are strongly encouraged.
Please read the frequently asked questions before applying;
- Submit your project here! You can make your submission in either French or English.
- Call for project proposals opens: Friday, 5 August 2016
- Final deadline for submitting project proposals: Friday, 2 September 2016
- Selection process: 3rd September – 30th September 2016
- Announcement of successful projects: 15 October 2016
- Contract signing: 24th – 28th October 2016
For more information, visit 2016 FIRE Awards.