Deadline: September 2, 2016
The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC), an initiative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, is looking for a Communications & Programme Intern to serve for three (3) months. UNAOC responds to a broad consensus across nations, cultures and religions that all societies are interdependent, bound together in their development and security, and in their environmental, economic and financial well-being.
UNAOC, whose Secretariat is based in New York, NY, is funded by multiple donors and executed by UNOPS. UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world.
Contract type: Internship
Contract level: N/A
Contract duration: 3 months
- Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions.
- UNOPS may provide a one time travel lump sum of 500 USD. However, they must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel, insurance coverage and any necessary visas.
Under the direct supervision of the Media and Migration Specialist as well as the Web Design and Development Specialist, the Communications & Programme Intern will:
- Contribute to the writing, editing, proofreading, production, and updating of electronic and printed materials.
- Assist with design, editing, and production of graphic materials to support online and offline communications.
- Assist with publishing articles, press releases, photos, graphics and multimedia elements in the UNAOC website and other digital assets.
- Support communications projects as they arise, including conducting research and summarizing relevant information.
- Provide general administrative support including taking meeting minutes, setting up meetings and conference calls, etc.
- Assist with research and event planning and production
- The Communications & Programme Intern will apply his/her communications skills to help promote UNAOC programmes. He/she will learn about the different UNAOC initiatives and how to develop communications content and material for international projects. He/she will also learn about international program management and develop international event planning.
- The Communications & Programme Intern will contribute to intensifying activities of UNAOC online.
- He/she will help increase UNAOC reach online and get more followers, more clicks, more hits, etc.
- He/she will also participate in the organization of an international symposium in Europe. He/she will contribute to making sure the event is a success and that it receives great visibility in the media and on social media.
- Applicants must be pursuing a University Degree preferably in Multimedia, Information Technology, Journalism, Communications, International Relations, or have graduated from such studies within the last 3 years.
- Any prior work experience is not required.
- English as a first language; fluency in both spoken and written English; working knowledge of other UN language(s) is an asset.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, and experience in developing different types of content for different audiences and mediums
- Experience with social media
- Full command of Microsoft Office suite of products
- Basic HTML knowledge
- Strong graphic design and layout skills, including familiarity with Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Photoshop. Proficiency in Adobe Lightroom and/or Adobe After Effects would be a plus
- Experience with WordPress is necessary. Experience with other Content Management Systems (e.g. Drupal) would be a bonus
- Quick and thorough research and data analysis
- Proficiency in drawing relevant information from technical content
- Interest in global media and a good understanding of global migration
- Experience in event planning
- Respect for Diversity
- Technological Awareness
NOTE: This internship is not designed to lead to a staff position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
For more information, visit UNAOC Internship.