Google News Lab Fellowship 2017 (Stipend + Travel Budget)
Deadline: January 3, 2017
Google invites applications from eligible candidates for its News Lab Fellowship.
Google News Lab Fellowship offers students interested in journalism and technology the opportunity to spend the summer working at relevant organizations across the US to gain valuable experience and make lifelong contacts and friends.
While the work of each host organization is unique, Fellows have opportunities to research and write stories, contribute to open source data programs, and create timely data to accurately frame public debates about issues in the US and the world.
Support For Fellows
Fellows receive a stipend of $8,500 USD and a travel budget of $1,000.
- Google is looking for students who are passionate about reporting and the role that technology can play in the pursuit of the craft.
- You must be a US student or a student studying in the US with a relevant visa to qualify. That said, we welcome students from all majors and degree programs. If the following sounds like you, we encourage you to apply:
- You’re excited about journalism, especially data driven journalism or freedom of expression online. You’re interested in exploring and creating business models to help the industry in the digital age.
The program runs from June-August.
The 10-week Fellowship begins at Google’s World Headquarters in Mountain View, CA. After a few days at the Googleplex, Fellows will spend the next 9 weeks embedded on projects at one of the following host organization
How to Apply
Apply online here to one of the host organizations for the fellowship. Please direct further inquiries to email@example.com
The application form includes the following section
- Personal Information
- Current Education
- Education History
- References (2 references)
- Your CV
- Essay: Provide an essay outlining your qualifications for and interest in the program, including relevant academic, professional and extracurricular experiences. As part of this essay, explain what you hope to gain from participation in the program. (750 words)
For more information, visit Google News Lab Fellowship.