United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) Internship Programme 2017
Deadline: February 1, 2017
The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is now accepting applications for the 2017 Internship Programme. The objective of the internship programme is to provide a framework through which postgraduate students from diverse academic backgrounds may be assigned to the UNFCCC secretariat to enhance their educational experience through practical work assignments. It allows selected candidates to gain insight into the work of the United Nations and provides assistance and training in various professional fields.
Expenses and Medical Coverage
- Interns are not financially remunerated by the UNFCCC secretariat. Costs and arrangements for travel, visas, accommodation and living expenses are the responsibility of the intern or his/her sponsoring institution;
- The UNFCCC secretariat accepts no responsibility for medical insurance for the intern or for any costs arising from accidents and/or illness during the internship period. Applicants are required to provide evidence of adequate medical insurance coverage;
- The UNFCCC secretariat is not responsible for any claims by an intern or third party in the case of loss or damage to property, or death or personal injury as a result of actions or omissions on the part of the intern during the internship period.
- An undergraduate degree should have been completed with work on a Master degree in progress. Applicants should therefore be enrolled in a recognized university course of study in fields related to the work of the UNFCCC secretariat (including economics, environmental sciences, international law, international relations, natural sciences, political science, human resources and/or public administration, event management, IT/computer sciences, and communication) at the time of application and during the entire period of internship;
- Applicants should be able to work in English;
- Applicants pursuing their studies in countries where higher education is not divided into undergraduate and postgraduate stages should have completed at least four years of study and be a student at the time of application and during the internship.
Terms and Conditions
- The normal duration of an internship is two months, which can be extended for an additional period of two months by mutual consultation and consent. The total duration may exceptionally be extended to a maximum period of six months when there are special academic requirements or special needs of the receiving programme;
- Applicants may not be related – i.e. spouse, mother, father, sister, brother, daughter, son – to a staff member of the UNFCCC secretariat;
- Upon selection for an internship placement, an ‘Internship Agreement’ is forwarded to the confirmed candidate for signature and returned together with proof of medical insurance coverage for the entire duration of the internship. This must be done prior to the agreed starting date;
- There is no promise of employment either during or upon completion of an internship with the UNFCCC secretariat;
- An intern with UNFCCC secretariat is not a staff member of the UNFCCC secretariat, therefore the privileges and immunities agreed between the UNFCCC secretariat and the host Government do not apply to interns;
- An intern undertakes to conduct himself/herself at all times in a manner compatible with his/her responsibilities as an intern of the UNFCCC secretariat;
- The intern is required to keep confidential all unpublished information made known during the course of the internship, and must not publish any reports or papers on the basis of information obtained, except with the prior written authorization of the UNFCCC secretariat. These obligations will not lapse upon the expiration of the internship period.
Applications from prospective interns are to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and should refer to the vacancy in the subject line and include:
- A Curriculum Vitae;
- A cover letter stating the motivation and intended goals to be achieved if selected for an internship with UNFCCC.
For more information, visit UNFCCC’s Internship Programme.