Deadline: February 21, 2017
As part of the IWMF African Great Lakes Reporting Initiative, six women journalists will report in and around Goma and Lubumbashi and surrounding areas in southeast Katanga in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Reporting fellows will begin their trip in Nairobi, Kenya, where they will complete comprehensive security training and an orientation from May 4 – 7. Fellows then depart for eight days of reporting in the different locations where they will have the opportunity to network with other journalists, report independently and collaboratively with their peers, and gain access to a variety of sources and sites related to their reporting. The trip will end May 17.
- The IWMF arranges travel and in-country logistics for all Fellows. The IWMF also covers fellowship-related costs within the framework of the reporting trip including travel, visa fees, lodging, meals and fixers/interpreters, unless a selected journalist’s news organization wishes to assume these costs. Fellows living outside the U.S. are responsible for procuring all necessary visas for which they will be reimbursed at the conclusion of the fellowship.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Affiliated or freelance women journalists with three (3) or more years of professional experience working full-time in news media. Internships do not count toward professional experience;
- Women journalists of all nationalities are welcome to apply;
- Non-native English speakers must be proficient in English in order to fully participate in and benefit from the program;
- Applicant must be able to show proof of interest from an editor or have a proven track record of publication in prominent media outlets (a letter from an editor is strongly preferred).
Applicants must pitch stories that can be reported in and around this messaged location. The feasibility of day trips outside locations will be determined by IWMF security protocols and assessed on a case-by-case basis
For more information, visit African Great Lakes Reporting Initiative Fellowship.