America Solidaria Development Fellowship in Latin America 2017
Deadline: June 30, 2017
Applications are currently open for the September 2017 cycle of the America Solidaria Development Fellowship in Latin America. America Solidaria is an international nonprofit organization founded in Chile in 2002 that seeks to close the inequality gap in the Americas by supporting long-term international fellows in projects focused on education, health, and strengthening economic development with organizations throughout the Western Hemisphere. Currently, America Solidaria is working on projects in 13 countries, with fellows from the US serving in Latin American countries and Latin American fellows serving in the US.
América Solidaria fellows are placed in teams of two (or more) in their project areas. They often live together in a shared house or apartment. Fellows are free to make arrangements with their host organizations to travel (back home for Christmas, for example), but they have to assume the costs for any extra trips within or outside the country, as well as any additional purchases they choose to make beyond daily subsistence. America Solidaria fellows receive nearly two weeks of training and orientation before beginning their projects.
The countries where we have regional offices are Argentina, Chile, Colombia, USA, Haití, Perú, and Uruguay. Our highest concentrations of projects are in those countries. While candidates are given the opportunity to rank their preference of country, ultimately our selection process is guided by the needs of our host organizations, which means that students are typically sent to the country where their skills and experiences best match with a host.
América Solidaria provides a living stipend, travel health insurance, and travel support for our fellows during their 12-month terms of service.
- Applicants need to have graduated with at least a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent in a career related to development (education, psychology, medicine, nutrition, physical therapy, social sciences with community-based fieldwork, business administration, law, or agriculture)
- Applicants need to speak Spanish at an advanced level.
- Competitive applicants will also have at least two years of career-related experience and some previous volunteer experience.
- Please fill out the application form (in Spanish) to apply for this fellowship!
- If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected]
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis for the two annual cycles in March and September, reviewing applications received up to two months before each cycle begins. Submit your application by June 30th for full consideration for September 2017-2018.
For more information, visit America Solidaria Development Fellowship.