Nominations Open for the Free Press Awards 2017
Deadline: August 1, 2017
Free Press Unlimited, a nonprofit organization based in the Netherlands, is accepting nominations for the Free Press Awards. The awards aim to honor journalists who risk everything to bring the news to the public, media pioneers who pave the way for equality and justice and those who persevere under the most difficult circumstances. The categories for 2017 are newcomer of the year and most resilient journalist of the year.
- The Newcomer of the Year – Hans Verploeg Award recognises talented new journalists who show extraordinary dedication to journalism as a means to hold those in power accountable and to serve as a watchdog in the public interest. They manage to share stories that would otherwise be left untold. In 2016, Nigerian journalist ‘Fisayo Soyombo won the Newcomer of the Year Award.
- The Most Resilient Journalist Award honours journalists who risk everything to bring us the news, media pioneers who pave the way for equality and justice and those who persevere under the most difficult circumstances. Nominees have often faced imprisonment, violence, and censorship for doing their job. In 2016, winner of the Most Resilient Journalist Award was Pakistani journalist Hamid Mir.
- The winner of the Newcomer of the Year Award will receive a media scholarship as well as an expenses-paid visit to the Netherlands;
- The winner of the Most Resilient Journalist Award will receive EUR 15,000 as well as an expenses-paid visit to the Netherlands.
- Open to anyone in the broader field of journalism;
- There is no restriction to applicants, they can be from any country around the world.
You can submit a nomination:
For more information, visit Free Press Awards.