Deadline: June 30, 2017
Apply now for the IJP Asia Fellowship 2017. Since 1995 the German-Asia-Programme offers up up to ten fellowships for Asian and German journalists between the age of 28 to 38 years. IJP offers a unique opportunity for talented Journalists working in The People’s Republic of China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan to come to Germany. In 2017 they will focus mainly on study-tours, research trips and seminars for the alumni of the Asia Program. Three fellowships, however, will be available for journalists from PR China, Hong Kong and/or Taiwan in autumn 2017.
The delegates work for four weeks with German host media. At the same time they research their own stories and work as correspondents for their home newsrooms. Hereby, the delegates gain a thorough insight into politics, economy and culture of the host country as well as an impression of the day to day working practices in Germany. The first month of the fellowship in Germany is composed of language training at the Goethe-Institute in Berlin, an organized research tour through Germany as well as individual training and information sessions in Berlin. By May 1st the German and Asian journalists come together for an orientation seminar in Berlin which is immediately followed by the annual alumni meeting. This guarantees a platform for intensive exchanges of information and experiences.
- All delegates of the programme receive a one-off payment of 3,800 Euro from IJP. This should cover most travel, food and accommodation expenses as well as health insurance. Payment by the host media is not to be expected.
- Fellowships will only be available for journalists from PR China, Hong Kong and Taiwan;
- Journalists between the age of 28 to 38 years, who regularly contribute newspapers, TV and radio media as well as online services, can apply;
- Very good English language skills (TOEFL) and a strong interested in learning the German language are an important precondition for the application.
Applicants should send the application documents to the above contact address:
- A curriculum vitae in English or German,
- A passport photograph,
- A one-page description of the research aims in Germany as well a journalistic reference from your editor. The reference should have the double function of supporting the application as well as guaranteeing that fellows will be available for the entire duration of the programme.
- Application Deadline:
- Selection of the delegates: July 15, 2017, thereafter selection of host media in co-operation with the delegates
- Fellowship: October / November 2017
- Introduction seminar: October 2017 in Berlin
- Annual alumni meeting: May 1st in the afternoon, in Berlin
For more information, visit IJP Asia Fellowship.