GenDem’s Youth Leadership Academy 2017
Submit application for the GenDem’s Youth Leadership Academy 2017. Generation Democracy is not simply an international network of youth. It is a youth leader incubator. Recognizing youth as the future of their countries, Generation Democracy brings reform-minded youth organizations into the “decision making tent.” Linking youth across borders to share ideas and best practices for increasing political and civic participation, this support youth to have a stronger voice in the decision making processes in their communities and countries. In a world plagued by unrest and disillusionment, Generation Democracy is a positive solution for our present and future. 35 participants from the SADC region will be competitively selected for the four-day summit.
- Participants will hear from local leaders, participate in leadership development workshops, and prepare a strategic plan for a community engagement project to be implemented in their home communities.
- The community engagement projects will be scored by a panel of judges, and the winners will receive a sub-grant to support the implementation of their project.
Participants must be:
- 18 to 35 years of age;
- Fluent in English;
- Members of established youth organizations in their home countries;
- Inspired to pursue positive, political participation;
- Committed to attend all four days of the Youth Leadership Academy;
- Ideal participants will be political and civil society leaders from Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, South Africa, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
Applicants must meet the above requirements and must:
- Submit a synopsis of a community engagement project they desire to conduct in their home country.
- Briefly describe the work that they do with their organization (250 words or less)
- Briefly outline their community engagement project proposal to address a major obstacle facing youth civic engagement and democratic participation in their home country (300 words or less)
- Clearly state what inspires them to get involved in their local community or country? (300 words or less)
- Submit CV/Resume (Save As: Last Name First Name Resume)
- Submit a Brief Biography, 300 words or less (Save As: Last Name First Name Bio).
A final phone interview will be required of selected finalists.
For application and more information, visit Generation Democracy.