YALI Regional Leadership Centre East Africa Cohort 20, 21,& 22 (Fully Funded)
Deadline: June 5, 2017
Are you a young leader? This is a great opportunity for you to improve your leadership skills. The program offered by YALI Regional Leadership Centre East Africa is fully-funded. All you need is to commit four-weeks of your time to attend the residential training. Alumni of the program are already having positive impact in their communities, and they are encouraging other young people to apply.
The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) was launched by former President of the United States Barack Obama as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders. YALI promotes three models designed to identify and empower young leaders: the YALI Mandela Washington Fellowship, YALI Network, and the Regional Leadership Centres across Africa.
Selected participants will engage in leadership training across three tracks of study: (1) Business and Entrepreneurship (2) Civic Leadership and (3) Public Management in a 4-week residential format with a focus on individual and team leadership skills, innovation, creative learning, and communication. The program’s emphasis is on interactive and experiential learning which fosters each participant’s ability to contribute both individually and in teams.
- Fully funded four week stay while training
- Individual and team leadership skills, innovation, creative learning, and communication.
Competition for the YALI Regional Leadership Centre East Africa is merit-based and open to young East African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Are 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission;
- Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Burundi, Central African Republic. Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda;
- Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.;
- Are eligible to receive any necessary visa to Kenya, and
- Are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking English.
Selection for participation in the YALI Regional Leadership Centre East Africa will be conducted as a merit-based, open competition. All eligible applications will be reviewed by a selection panel. Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- A demonstrated leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others.
- Strong social and communication skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude.
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected, and
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
Applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Chosen semi-finalists will then be interviewed before a final selection is made and an invitation to join the program is issued.
For more information visit YALI Regional Leadership Centre East Africa.