Call for Session Proposals: World Social Science Forum 2018
Deadline: September 1, 2017
A call for session proposals for the 2018 World Social Science Forum is now open. The Forum will take place from 25-28 September 2018, in Fukuoka, Japan, on the theme of ‘Security and Equality for Sustainable Futures’. Life in the Anthropocene requires inclusive and coordinated actions to ensure equality and security for human beings. Going beyond ‘security’ in the military or political context, human security also requires environmental, resource and livelihood security. Security and Equality are prerequisites for stability and sustainability.
The social sciences and humanities have a vital role to play in clarifying and developing principles, norms, rules and institutions to undertake action towards such an understanding of security, and in participating in the dialogue among citizens and policy makers. This Forum seeks to create a platform for interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research to contribute to transformations to a sustainable world.
- Open to scholars from around the world;
- Proposals for parallel sessions should fall under the following sub-themes of the Forum:
- Sustainability and security
- Human security
- Security and the 2030 Agenda
- Globalization, diversity, and cultures of belonging
- Development and inclusion in urban and rural areas
- Gender equality and security
- Health, safety and biosecurity
- Freedom, democracy and security
Sessions Format and Requirements
- A session format is, in principle, a 120-minute symposium featuring paper presentations;
- A session generally consists of 5 presentations, with time for discussion. Session organizers are free to design sessions as they see fit;
- Presentations will be followed by discussion among presenters, or with discussants, led by a chair;
- Sessions should be international. Speakers should come from at least two different countries;
- Interdisciplinary sessions are particularly welcomed. Sessions with non academic speakers are also welcome;
- You may propose a full session with all the papers and presenters set in advance. However, proposed sessions with only one or a few pre-selected papers are also welcomed. In this case, the Scientific Programme Committee (SPC) will help allocate additional accepted papers to the session. An official call for papers will be released by the SPC at a later date. The session organizer will be able to review and select from the listed prospective papers that have been accepted by SPC.
- Submission Deadline: September 1, 2017
- Selection: Proposals will be reviewed by the Scientific Programme Committee (SPC).
- Outcome: Feedback on session proposals and notifications of acceptance will be sent out to all applicants no later than November 30, 2017.
For more information, visit World Social Science Forum 2018.