Apply to attend OpenCon 2017 – Berlin, Germany (Travel Scholarships Available)
Deadline: August 1, 2017
Applications are now open for OpenCon 2017 taking place on November 11-13 in Berlin, Germany! OpenCon is the conference and community for students and early career academic professionals interested in advancing Open Access, Open Education and Open Data. Each year, OpenCon brings together a diverse, representative, and engaged group of participants, with travel scholarships available to most participants. For this reason, attendance at OpenCon 2017 is by application only.
OpenCon is more than a conference. It’s a platform for the next generation to learn about Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data, develop critical skills, and catalyze action toward a more open system for sharing the world’s information—from scholarly and scientific research, to educational materials, to digital research data.
The benefits of applying for OpenCon 2017 extend far beyond attending the Berlin meeting. It’s an opportunity to find collaborators, get connected with scholarships to attend related conferences, and be recognized by the community for the work you do to promote Open Access, Open Education and Open Data.
The application includes the opportunity to apply for a travel scholarship. Scholarship funding is available for the following expenses:
- Travel to and from Berlin, Germany
- Accommodation during the nights of the conference (shared room)
- Participation fee that covers registration and most meals
- Visa application fee (if needed)
If you are invited and are awarded a scholarship, your invitation will specify which of the above expenses are included. Please note that scholarships will not cover travel to and from the airport, meals that are not provided at the conference, insurance, or other incidental expenses. Note that due to the number of scholarships we will be granting, we cannot process any reimbursements from receipts. Therefore scholarship funding will only apply for travel and accommodation booked through OpenCon’s travel agent.
- Students of all levels, early career researchers, and young professionals from all countries in fields related to scholarly and scientific research (e.g. librarians, publishers, advocates, etc)
- Applicants must be eighteen years of age or older to attend OpenCon 2017.
- OpenCon wants to support those who have ideas for new projects and initiatives in addition to those who are already leading them.
- The most important criteria is an interest in advancing Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data and a commitment to taking action
Beyond the Conference
While attendance at the main conference in Berlin is by application only, everyone is invited to participate freely in the interactive webcast, OpenCon 2017 Live. OpenCon is also looking for partners to host satellite events—meetings that combine themes from the global conference with local presentations, workshops, and discussions to advance the conversation around Open in your local community.
In 2016, there were 28 OpenCon satellite events in twenty countries—all thanks to the incredible hosts, who included students, scientists, librarians, researchers, and advocates from around the world who are working hard to increase action around Open Access, Open Data, and Open Education. To express interest in hosting your own satellite event and get more information, please visit OpenCon 2017 Satellite.
- Complete the online application by August 1, 2017. The application includes the opportunity to apply for a travel scholarship.
- To find out more about OpenCon and our issue areas before applying, click here.
For more information, visit OpenCon 2017.