UN Women Africa – Capacity Building Training for Journalists 2017
Deadline: July 20, 2017
UN Women Ethiopia Country office, under its regional project, “African Women Changing the Narrative, is calling on interested journalists to apply for its capacity building training on “Gender Responsive Story Telling and Documenting Stories of Success” scheduled to take place 8-11 August 2017 in Dar Es Salaam. The project, African Women Changing the Narrative is courtesy of a three-year grant from the Austrian Development Cooperation.
The aim of the training is to highlight the contribution by African women to development through their leadership capacities and their central role in the design of innovative approaches to development. It provides a platform for the mobilization of a movement towards a revised and positive narrative from and about African women. It is also used as a platform for inspiration and information sharing of stories of impact by and for women. Consequently, the virtual platform is a brand for “Changing the Narrative” and provides a source of information and a tool for knowledge management to advance the cause of gender equality and women’s empowerment.
The training workshop will begin with a 2 day of theoretical discussion and then a two days reporting engagement where participants will have the opportunity and access to several women leaders whereby they use the skills they learnt to produce stories of changed narratives for the project website http://awctn.unwomen.org/en
UN Women arranges travel and in-country logistics for 15 participants.
The training is open to 15 participants with the following requirements:
- Journalists working in all forms of media like broadcast, print, web, radio, video, and photo journalism may apply.
- Only journalists who are from and based in Africa are eligible.
- Applicants can be either full-time journalists or freelancers with a minimum of five years’ experience.
- Experience in reporting on women’s issues is essential for the workshop.
- Having already published articles on the positive contribution of women, or changed narratives Personal motivation for reporting on the importance of Changed narratives and commitment to continue working.
- Ability to travel for the full duration of the workshop.
How to Apply
Applicants can send their CV together with the articles applicants published and a letter of motivation indicating the following:
- What is applicant’s motivation for participating in the training workshop? How does it relate to their work?
- What kind of stories are planning to publish after the workshop?
What is applicant’s basic knowledge on changed narratives on African women?
Do applicants have their own camera or Smartphone that applicants can bring?
Applicants can send their applications at the address [email protected] on or before 20 July, 2017.
For more information, visit UN Women Capacity Building Training.