Commonwealth Assistant Communications Officer x2 Young Professionals Programme 2017
Deadline: August 1, 2017
The Commonwealth Secretariat is proud to be supporting youth empowerment through our Young Professionals Programme (YPP). The YPP creates multiple opportunities for talented and qualified young people from across the Commonwealth to contribute to the Commonwealth’s core work through the transference of technical expertise, innovative ideas, specialist knowledge and fresh perspectives. The Assistant Communications Officer role sits within the Communications Division and is focused on providing it with technical and administrative support.
The Assistant Communications Officer will be responsible:
- To seek proactively news stories, marketing opportunities and events involving key stakeholders;
- To use skills to communicate key messages internally and externally, under pressure and to tight deadlines;
- To attend meetings for purposes of internally and externally communicating key messages;
- To produce daily, weekly and regular internal and external communications bulletins on digital outlets;
- To work with graphic designers to produce internal and external written publications including, but not limited to, magazines, posters and leaflets;
- To proof read, sub-edit and check the factual accuracy of communications and key messages before they are published;
- To liaise, court and understand the needs of key stakeholders;
- To write stories, shoot and edit basic films, engage social media with speed, accuracy and verve and upload content to digital platforms to market and enhance the Secretariat’s reputation and brand;
- To spot and prevent crises before they happen;
- To research and develop ideas and working practices which enable the Secretariat to remain innovative;
- Any other duties appropriate to the role, as required.
- Salary on appointment is £28,500 per annum. This is subject to the deduction of internal income tax (currently aligned with UK income tax rates) and UK National Insurance contributions (from which overseas-recruited Diplomatic staff members are exempt).
- Applicant must be a citizen of a Commonwealth country;
- Be aged 27 years or younger at the time applications close;
- You must have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional journalistic, media or political experience;
- A master’s degree is desirable but not essential. You will have worked in a recognised national broadcast, print or digital newsroom for a minimum of two years.
- Applications should be made via our online application system. The closing date is 1 August 2017, 5:00 pm BST
- Submit your curriculum vitae together with a covering letter setting out your experience and skills in relation to the person specification, competencies and other requirements for the post.
For more information, visit Assistant Communications Officer x2 Young Professionals Programme.