Deadline: August 4, 2017
The Royal Society, the UK’s premier scientific body, has a dynamic and growing publishing operation and, as part of their strategic development, they wish to appoint an Editorial Co-ordinator. This role will provide support across several publications, including Journal of the Royal Society Interface and Interface Focus.
The post holder will play a key role in working with authors and editors to ensure high quality of published papers. The post holder will be involved in the assessment of papers submitted for publication, including the peer-review process, and assisting with the development of the Royal Society’s prestigious journals. This is an excellent opportunity for someone beginning a career in scientific publishing.
The primary objectives of The Royal Society’s publishing operation are to disseminate high-quality science, to make a positive contribution to the reputation of the Society and to generate a surplus to be used by the Society for the good of science. The Editorial Co-ordinator will ensure that high quality and relevant content is published in the Royal Society’s journals in order to meet these objectives and contribute to the development of the journals programme.
Among other duties, the post holder will
- Ensure that the Royal Society have sufficient approved content on schedule;
- Manage the submission, peer review and post-acceptance process ensuring high quality and relevant content is published in the Society’s publications whilst maintaining high quality service levels;
- Provide a high level of support for authors, working with Royal Society colleagues to ensure that authors have the information and materials that they need;
- Actively improve receipt to acceptance times and contribute to improvements in publication times where relevant.
- Recruitment of referees;
- Assist the Senior Publishing Editor and academic Editor in soliciting content;
- Administer electronic editorial systems, provide customer care and support authors, referees and Editors;
- Manage post-acceptance process ensuring material of high integrity (both electronic and printed) is supplied to the production department;
- Contribute to the development of the content, workflow, processes and promotion of Society’s journals;
- Support the Senior Publishing Editor, Editor and Publisher in ensuring that wider academic, organizational and business objectives are achieved.
- Candidates should have a degree in a scientific subject;
- The ideal post holder will have some basic Publishing experience;
- Attention to detail and an eye for accuracy is a must;
- You will also be an enthusiastic team player who is able to work with a diverse range of people and stakeholders;
- An interest in publishing and social media is highly beneficial.