Generation UK – China: Autumn Language and Internship Programme 2017
Deadline: August 6, 2017
Are you still undecided on your plans after graduation? Spend eight weeks in China on the Generation UK – China autumn programme, learning the Chinese language and gaining meaningful work experience that will look fantastic on your CV – all this while exploring some of China’s most fascinating cities.
Whether you’re looking to get a head-start on mastering the language or boost your career prospects by undertaking an internship in fields such as accounting, business, or marketing, Generation UK – China can help provide the funding for your trip and make sure you make the most of your time in China.
Why You Should Apply
- With 1.4 billion speakers worldwide, Chinese truly is a global language. Graduates who speak more than one language are highly sought-after, and with China’s increasing role in the world market, Mandarin is becoming a favourite among employers.
- Experience in China is increasingly valued by employers. Work experience in China will give you an inside view into Chinese culture and business practice, making you aware of cultural differences and similarities between China and the UK.
- China may soon overtake the USA as the world’s largest economy. Knowledge of Mandarin and a connection with China will improve your career prospects.
- Globalisation causes the job market-place to become more and more competitive. Your experience and understanding of China will make your CV stand out from the crowd.
- Generation UK – China funding will cover all language classes, cultural activities, internship placement fees, accommodation and comprehensive travel insurance (a must), as well as your airport pick-up and dedicated support throughout your placement;
- You’ll need to budget for your day-to-day expenses, which largely depend on where you are living and your own lifestyle. Previous interns have been able to get by perfectly happily on the equivalent of about £50 a week, but it’s entirely up to you. You’ll also need to pay for your flights, visa and any other expenses related to your travel.
Applicants must be:
- A UK citizen/EU home student;
- Aged 18 years and above;
- Currently enrolled full-time at a UK university or have graduated from a UK university within the past year;
- In receipt of or have received a Maintenance Grant from Student Finance or SAAS bursary for Scottish students during their university career;
- Not in receipt of any other Generation UK – China funding.
Apply for the Qingdao and Chengdu programme via InternChina.
Applications are now closed in England, Northern Ireland and Wales. The deadline for Scottish applicants has been extended until Sunday 6 August.
There are 30 spots up for grabs this autumn. Placements are very limited and in high demand. The sooner you can get your application in, the better.
Make sure you have the following documentation ready, which you will need to submit during the application process:
- Passport scan
- Proof of Maintenance Grant receipt (scanned copy of original)
- Most recent grade transcript (2015/16 academic year/degree certificate if graduated)
- Academic Reference (needs to be on university letterhead paper and signed by the author)
- Curriculum Vitae
All shortlisted candidates will be invited to a short telephone interview, where the following criteria will be taken into account:
- Academic achievement
- Interest in chosen industry
- Motivations for gaining work experience in China
- Knowledge of Mandarin is not a pre-requisite.
For more information, visit Generation UK – China: Autumn Language and Internship Programme.