RESOLVE Network Research Leadership Fellowships 2018
Deadline: September 15, 2017
The RESOLVE Network is soliciting applications from qualified candidates based in Cameroon, Chad, and Nigeria for a project based research fellowship in support of a comparative country case study on the rise of violent extremism and the politics of religion in education in the Lake Chad Basin region.
Supported by the RESOLVE Network Secretariat in Washington, D.C., the project will be led by a select team of principal investigators with experience in the region who will work closely with fellows in the program to conduct field-based research over the course of 10 months from early November 2017 through late September 2018.
The RESOLVE Network Research Leadership Fellowship is a flagship initiative of the Network. The goal of the fellowship is to grow the next generation of local thought leaders engaged in shaping local, regional, and international policy responses to the destabilizing threat of political violence and conflict. The program matches early and mid-career researchers from priority regions with seasoned senior subject matter experts who serve as principal investigators and lead major projects in alignment with the network’s broad research agenda.
- The 2018 RESOLVE Network Lake Chad Basin Research Leadership Fellowship Awards are set at a total of $4,500 for a 10-month program (November-September 2018) and are paid directly to the individual;
- The RESOLVE Network will not support travel costs for fellows to participate in regionally-based trainings and workshops in January and April 2018.
- Qualified citizens of Cameroon, Chad, and Nigeria may apply for the fellowship;
- Applicants based full-time in other parts of the Lake Chad Basin region or the Sahel will be given the highest consideration;
- Applicants from the Lake Chad or Sahel regions currently living abroad who show a commitment to traveling to the country to conduct research and to returning to their home countries within one-year of completing the program may also be considered.
- Applicants must be fluent in English and either French or Arabic (preferably all three), both written and spoken;
- The Network Secretariat will only consider candidates who have a combination of the following educational and professional experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, economics, international affairs, legal studies, journalism, anthropology, sociology, social psychology, criminology, or related social sciences plus a minimum of 6 years professional experience working with reputable media outlets, think tanks, universities, and/or research centers;
- Master’s degree in political science, economics, international affairs, legal studies, journalism, anthropology, sociology, social psychology, criminology, or related social sciences plus a minimum of 4 years professional experience working with reputable media outlets, think tanks, universities, and/or research centers;
- Doctoral candidates or degree recipients in political science, economics, international affairs, legal studies, journalism, anthropology, sociology, social psychology, criminology, or related social sciences plus a minimum of 2 years professional experience working with reputable media outlets, think tanks, universities, and/or research centers.
Selection of fellowship candidates is based on the assessment of the applicant’s:
- Record of achievement in conflict analysis and/or social science research;
- Demonstrated professional experience that reflects leadership potential;
- Capacity to benefit from the fellowship experience in subsequent years; and
- Commitment to building community and shaping future policy on critical social issues.
RESOLVE Fellowship applications contain the following five sections:
- Personal Information
- Proof of Citizenship in the Country of Focus
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Personal Statement
- Short Analytical Essay
- Letters of Recommendation (2)
Please read and complete the entire application form. Your saved PDF application form and a separate PDF copy of your most recent Curriculum Vitae/Resume containing all of the information detailed in Section 3 of the form must be submitted by email to [email protected] with the following subject line: [Applicant Last name, Applicant First Name]-RESOLVE Network [Intended Project Country] Fellow Application-2018.
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be considered.
For more information, visit RESOLVE Network Research Leadership Fellowships.