Audrey and William H. Helfand Fellowship 2018 (Funded)
Deadline: August 25, 2017
Apply now for the Audrey and William H. Helfand Fellowship 2018. The Fellowship in the History of Medicine and Public Health supports research using Academy library resources for scholarly study of the history of medicine and public health with an emphasis on visual culture. It is intended specifically for a scholar in residence at the Academy Library. Preference will be given to applications which focus on the use of visual materials held in the Academy collections and in other area institutions.
The Academy’s Library holds a particularly rich collection of images related to the history of medicine and public health dating from the early modern era into the twentieth century. A diverse collection, including illustrated books, prints, broadsides, pamphlets, and printed medical ephemera, documents changes in clinical medicine and research, the evolution of medical practice, the history of public health and public responses to these developments. The collections form an extraordinary primary resource for scholars in history, popular culture, the sciences and social sciences, the history of printing and the graphic arts.
The Helfand Fellow is expected to spend at least four weeks in New York City, working at The New York Academy of Medicine. Fellows are required to present a seminar at the Academy, to contribute a post for our blog, and to submit a final report on work done at the Academy Library by the end of the award period.
- Each Helfand fellow receives a stipend of $5,000 to support travel, lodging and incidental expenses for a flexible period between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018.
- Open to anyone, regardless of citizenship, academic discipline, or academic status;
- Preference will be given to:
- those whose research will take advantage of resources that are uniquely available at the Academy;
- individuals in the early stages of their careers, and
- applications which include an emphasis on the use of visual materials held within the Academy’s collections and elsewhere.
A complete application includes:
- One copy of the materials requested in the application;
- Two letters of recommendation;
- Please submit your application electronically: Email your materials as attachments to email@example.com.
- Attachments must be in Word, Adobe PDF, or Rich Text Format;
- Please include the appropriate extension in filenames, (i.e. “SmithFellowshipApp.pdf”)
- Applications are due by the end of the day on Friday, August 25, 2017;
- Letters of recommendation are due by the end of the day on Monday, August 28, 2017;
- Applicants will be notified of whether or not they have received a fellowship by Friday, October 6, 2017.
For more information, visit Audrey and William H. Helfand Fellowship.