YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa Cohort 23, 24 & 25 (Fully funded)
Deadline: September 11, 2017
The YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa is looking for young men and women between the ages of 18 and 35 who are ready to embrace leadership and work hard to transform their countries. Applications into YALI Regional Leadership Center for cohorts 23, 24 & 25 are currently open.
The YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa, located at Kenyatta University in Nairobi, Kenya serves 14 countries in East and Central Africa. YALI was launched by former President of the United States Barack Obama as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders. This is a great opportunity for selected participants to engage in leadership training across three tracks of study: (1) Business and Entrepreneurship, (2) Civic Leadership, and (3) Public Management. Participants would undergo four weeks in-residence training with a focus to build on their individual and team leadership skills, innovation, creative learning, and communication.
- Business and Entrepreneurship: This track caters to the range of emerging or aspiring entrepreneurs who hope to take on leadership roles within the private sector or build their own business ventures on the continent.
- Civic Leadership: Oriented to those who are or aspire to be civically engaged and serve the public through non-governmental organizations, community based organizations, or volunteerism.
- Public Management: Tailored to those who work or aspire to work in any level of government (including elected positions), regional organizations such as the African Union or the East Africa Community, international organizations such as the United Nations, or other publicly-minded organizations or think tanks.
If you are selected to participate in the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa program, all of the following expenses will be covered by the program:
- Visa to Kenya (if required);
- Round-trip travel from your country of citizenship to Nairobi, Kenya;
- Transportation to/from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport to/from the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa for all non-Kenyan participants;
- For Kenyans, transportation to/from the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa will be provided for, from your location of residence;
- Customized academic and leadership course;
- Accident and sickness benefit plan;
- Housing and meals; and
- Stipend to cover miscellaneous costs when in Nairobi.
- Note that the Program will only cover your transportation costs to and from Kenya if you are residing within one of the 14 countries served by the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa.
Competition for the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa is merit-based and open to young East African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Are 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission,
- Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Burundi, Central African Republic. Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda,
- Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Are eligible to receive any necessary visa to Kenya, and
- Are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking English.
Selection for participation in the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa will be conducted as a merit-based, open competition. All eligible applications will be reviewed by a selection panel. Chosen semi-finalists will then be interviewed before a final selection is made and an invitation to join the program is issued.
Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- A demonstrated leadership in public service, business, and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others.
- Strong social and communication skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude.
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected, and
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
Begin your application by signing up here.
Applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.