United Nations University UNU-WIDER PhD Internship Programme 2017/18
Deadline: September 30, 2017
Applications are open for the UNU-WIDER PhD Internships 2017. The PhD Internship Programme gives registered doctoral students an opportunity to utilize the resources and facilities at UNU-WIDER for their PhD dissertation or thesis research, and to work with UNU-WIDER researchers in areas of mutual interest.
PhD interns typically spend 3 consecutive months at UNU-WIDER and are expected to return to their home institution afterwards. During their time in Helsinki, PhD interns prepare one or more research papers and present a seminar on their research findings. PhD interns may also have the opportunity to publish their research in the WIDER Working Paper Series.
- A travel grant to cover the costs of travel to and from the location of your PhD granting institution
- Medical insurance (for medical and hospital services resulting from sickness and accident during your stay at UNU-WIDER), and a
- Monthly stipend of EUR 1,600 to cover living expenses in Helsinki during the period of their internship. The programme does not cover expenses related to dependents.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a PhD programme and have shown ability to conduct research on developing economies;
- Candidates working in other social sciences may apply but should keep in mind that UNU-WIDER is an economics-focused institute;
- Candidates should be fluent in oral and written English and possess good quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills;
- Preference is given to applicants who are living or working in developing countries and who are at later stages of the PhD.
If you are interested in participating in this programme you should complete and submit the application form.
- As part of your application, you will be asked to upload your curriculum vitae.
- Your PhD supervisor will need to provide UNU-WIDER with a letter of reference, which should be emailed (by your supervisor) to the following address: [email protected]. The reference letter will also be used to certify that you are enrolled in a PhD programme at your university.
Selected applicants will be informed by email of the final decision within four weeks of the closing deadline. The selected applicants must confirm their decision to take up UNU-WIDER’s offer two weeks after being contacted.
For more information, visit UNU-WIDER PhD Internships.