AfyaBora Fellowship in Global Health Leadership 2018-2019 (fully-funded)
Deadline: December 1, 2017
Applications for the AfyaBora Fellowship in Global Health Leadership 2018-2019 are now open. There will be 20 positions available for health professionals interested in the 12-month fellowship, starting July 2018, in one of the African partner countries (Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Cameroon). The AfyaBora Fellowship will provide trainees with a set of practical skills that will prepare them for leadership positions in government, non-government, and academic health institutions in developing countries.
The 12 month training program has 2 components:
- A eight-week core curriculum, plus four distance learning modules;
- Two 4.5 month assignments to sites, such as Ministries of Health, NGOs, etc. in partner African countries.
- African Trainees
- Airfare from home to training sites;
- Monthly stipend equivalent to $1500 per month;
- Evacuation insurance if stationed outside home country;
- Accommodations and per diem up if attending didactic sessions and meetings outside of home country;
- Housing allowance of up to $750 per month if placed outside of home country;
- Reimbursement for other selected fellowship-specific activities in Africa (i.e. travel to rural sites, visa, etc.).
- US Trainees
- Monthly stipend based on NRSA NIH stipend levels (stipend cap is at 2 years post-doctoral level);
- Roundtrip airfare from home city-Africa;
- Airfare within Africa to attachment site placement and modules;
- Per diem when attending didactic sessions and meetings;
- Housing allowance of up to $750 per month;
- Support request for an NIH loan repayment up to $35,000 for one year (only postdoctoral applicants are eligible to apply);
- Reimbursement for other selected fellowship-specific activities in Africa (i.e. travel to rural sites, visa, etc.)
All applicants must
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of Botswana, Cameroon, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda or the US and
- Meet one of the following education requirements:
- Medical applicants need to have a M.D. or MBChB with a MMed or Masters degree in related field;
- Nursing applicants need to have a Masters degree in nursing, public health or a related field (PhD preferred), or substantial work experience;
- Other public health professionals (those without a clinical degree) must have a Doctoral degree in public health or a related field.
In order to complete your application for the June 2018 – 2019 fellowship year please submit the following items by December 1, 2017.
- Application for Training online form;
- Statement of Training Objectives (uploaded to the online form)
- CV or Resume (uploaded to the online form)
- Two Recommendation Forms emailed to [email protected]. Further detailed instructions are in the Letter of Recommendation section of the application.
Current candidates can expect the below timeline for the selection process.
- Application Deadline: December 1, 2017
- Interviews: Mid-December 2017 – March 2018
- Select applicants will be contacted for an interview
- Notification of Acceptance: March-April 2018
- New Trainee Orientation in Botswana June 2018
- New trainee participants will be brought together for a 3-day orientation. Immediately following the orientation there will be three 1-week course modules that will be held in the same country.
For more information, visit AfyaBora Fellowship in Globa Health Leadership.