James Marston Fitch Mid-Career Fellowship 2018 (Up to $15,000 Grant)
Deadline: October 25, 2017
The James Marston fellowship is now accepting applications for the 2018 funding. Grants will be awarded to one or two mid-career professionals who have an academic background, professional experience and an established identity in one or more of the following architecture, etc.
James Marston Fitch established this foundation to further his commitment to training professionals to protect and curate the built environment. The Fitch Foundation has indeed strengthened the field of historic preservation and has raised awareness about America’s rich architectural heritage. Year after year the Foundation has provided grants that enable mid-career professionals to conduct research that is of significant value to the academic community and professionals in practice around the world. Since 1989 the James Marston Fitch Charitable Foundation has been in the vanguard of historic preservation practice and theory.
- Research grants of up to $15,000 will be awarded.
- Applicants must be mid-career professionals with at least 10 years experience in historic preservation or related fields, including architecture, landscape architecture, architectural conservation, urban design, environmental planning, archaeology, architectural history, and the decorative arts.
- Applicants must be legal residents or citizens of the United States.
- Grants are awarded only to individuals, not organizations.
- The Foundation does not fund university-sponsored research projects or dissertation research.
Criteria for Evaluation
Applications are reviewed by the Fitch Trustees. Projects will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- The project will make a meaningful contribution to the academic and/or professional field of historic preservation in the United States.
- The applicant has a realistic plan for the dissemination of research and/or final work product.
- The project has clear and realistic goals, timeframe, work plan, and budget.
- The project demonstrates innovative thinking, original research and creative problem solving and/or design.
- Submissions must be made online through submittable.
- Applicants are required to submit the following materials:
- Cover page, including Project Title; Name of Applicant(s), including primary contact person; Applicant Address; Phone; Email.
- Also, please specify whether you are applying for the Fitch Mid-Career Grant; and specify the amount of grant money requested.
- Brief description of project, including how the final work product will be disseminated. Applicants are encouraged to be succinct and the description is not to exceed three (3) pages.
- Detailed work schedule and project budget, showing the grant amount requested from the Fitch Foundation and how this money will be spent.
- Curriculum Vita, including professional and academic background, and past and present grants received.
- Two (2) letters of support for the project to be included with the application.
- Applications must be submitted electronically, in ONE PDF format.
- Please email [email protected] with any questions concerning criteria for evaluation or project eligibility.
For more information, please visit the Fitch Foundation.