Sheila C. Johnson Leadership Fellowship 2018 for US Students (Stipend Up to USD $10,000)
Deadline: January 24, 2018
Applications for the Sheila C. Johnson Leadership Fellowship for entering master’s degree students at Harvard Kennedy School are open. The Sheila C. Johnson Leadership Fellowship brings together diverse and talented emerging leaders based on their demonstrated leadership promise and demonstrated interest in reducing disparities in African-American communities through efforts in health care, education, economic development, public policy, criminal justice reform, social entrepreneurship, and a variety of other fields. Applicants will be considered based on their leadership promise and demonstrated interest in reducing disparities in African-American communities in the United States.
The program connects fellows with highly accomplished national and international leaders and provides them with the skills to:
- Foster sustainable change in communities,
- Build cross-sector partnerships and collaborations, and
- Inspire new ideas and innovative change in programs and policies that serve communities.
- Sheila C. Johnson Leadership Fellows are awarded a full tuition scholarship and health fees;
- Fellows are eligible for a stipend up to $10,000.
- Open to applicants entering their first year of study in any of the Harvard Kennedy School’s masters’ degree programs;
- Students pursuing a joint degree at HKS and another Harvard graduate or professional school or those in concurrent programs at other approved universities or schools may also apply;
- The fellowship is open to U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents only;
- The fellowship will be open to all admitted master’s degree program students and will not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or national origin. Domestic students from under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
- Apply to Harvard Kennedy School: Application deadline is Monday, December 4, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. EST.
- Apply for the Fellowship: Application deadline for the Sheila C. Johnson Fellowship is Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. EST.
- Applicants must submit:
- A biographical profile: not to exceed 150 words. (This profile should be short, concise and in the third person.) Please include the following highlights: an introductory sentence including your name; the degree you are pursuing at Harvard Kennedy School in addition to any joint degree at Harvard or concurrent degree program at another graduate or professional institution; where you are from and where you currently reside; an overview and highlights of your relevant work/professional experience; significant leadership achievements including awards or certifications; and educational credentials with the degrees earned and institutions attended.
- A document containing written responses to the following two essay prompts:
- Please discuss a topic you are passionate about as it pertains to reducing disparities in African-American communities in the U.S. and your experiences as it relates to this topic. Please use specific examples in your response (750 words or less.)
- Please discuss briefly your interest in the Sheila C. Johnson Fellowship and how your leadership goals have motivated you to apply (200 words or less).
Finalists for the Sheila C. Johnson Fellowship will be interviewed in early March, 2018 by members of the Sheila C. Johnson Fellowship Selection Committee.