Apply: World Bank Group Africa Fellowship Program 2018 for PhD Students & Graduates
Deadline: November 19, 2017
The Africa Region of the World Bank Group (WBG) is announcing the third Africa Fellowship Program for Ph.D. students and recent graduates who are Sub-Saharan nationals. The program intends to attract young African talent to the World Bank Group workplace. This year, the program is run by the World Bank’s Office of Chief Economist for Africa in collaboration with the Fragility, Conflict & Violence (FCV) Unit.
Started in 2013 by World Bank Africa Vice President Makhtar Diop, the World Bank Group Africa Fellowship Program aims to build a pipeline of Sub-Saharan African researchers and professionals, particularly women, who are interested in working in the development field at home or abroad, and in starting careers with the WBG. Many graduates of the fellowship program have gone on to join the WBG, and others have pursued promising development careers around the world.
Fellows will spend a minimum of six months at the World Bank offices in Washington, D.C. or in field offices, getting hands-on experience in development work. This includes knowledge generation and dissemination, design of global and country policies, and the building of institutions to achieve inclusive growth in developing countries. While benefitting from research and innovation in multiple sectors, fellows will also work on research, economic policy, technical assistance, and lending operations that contribute to the World Bank goal of eliminating poverty and increasing shared prosperity.
- Fellows will receive consultant fees, round-trip economy class air travel to Washington, D.C. or a WBG country office from their university, and worker’s compensation insurance;
- Selected participants will also:
- Gain a better understanding of the World Bank Group’s mission and operations
- Have access to quality data for their research work
- Interact with seasoned experts in the field of development
- Contribute to the World Bank Group’s mission
- Fellowship is open to Sub-Saharan nationals who are recent Ph.D. graduates, or current doctoral students within a year of completing or graduating from a Ph.D. program in the following fields: economics, applied statistics and econometrics, impact evaluation, education, health, energy, agriculture, infrastructure, demography, forced displacement, and all relevant development fields.
- Candidates must:
- Have an excellent command of English, both written and verbal
- Possess strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Be born on or after October 1, 1986.
- Please fill out the form completely to be considered for the World Bank Group Africa Fellowship Program 2017
- After applying online, the most suitable candidates will be identified, and their application packages forwarded to World Bank Africa Region managers and participating departments for consideration. Departments and managers will then indicate their preferences, as well as the project to be undertaken;
- Selected candidates will then be notified and, upon acceptance, will be hired as short-term consultants for a minimum of six months.
For more information, visit World Bank Group Africa Fellowship Program.