Asia Pacific Leadership Program Fellowship (APLP) 2018-2019
Deadline: March 31 , 2018
Applications for the 2018-2019 Asia Pacific Leadership Program are now being accepted. The Asia Pacific Leadership Program (APLP) is the center of excellence for leadership education in Asia Pacific and a signature program of the East-West Center. The program links advanced and interdisciplinary analysis of emergent regional issues with experiential leadership learning.
APLP graduates leave the East-West Center with an expanded regional perspective. They are knowledgeable about the societies and issues of the Asia Pacific region and empowered to exercise leadership and promote cooperation in a variety of cultural, geographical and institutional environments. In short, APLP alumni are navigators of change.
The APLP seeks outstanding individuals from all walks of life (government, business, NGOs, health sciences, media, monastic orders, and education) to participate in an innovative leadership development program at the East-West Center in Honolulu, Hawai’i. All fellows live on the East-West Center’s campus in Honolulu, Hawaii from August through December 2018 for the residential portion of the program. From January – April 2019, the program is run virtually (online) and fellows have the option to return to their home countries or apply for extended fieldwork in Southeast Asia, internships, self-designed projects and employment experiences.
- All participants receive a fellowship valued at approximately $13,000 USD to cover a majority of the program costs;
- Substantial scholarship funding is available for the remainder of the costs of participation, though timing is critical;
- The earlier an application is submitted, the greater the chance that scholarship funds will be available to support participant costs beyond the fellowship provisions.
- Open to any individual with a deep interest in leadership training and a demonstrated commitment to promoting peace and prosperity in the Asia Pacific region – regardless of citizenship, age or ethnicity;
- Applicants must have at least a 3-year bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from an accredited U.S. College or University or from a recognized institution of higher learning abroad. Equivalency is determined by the University of Hawai’i;
- Have at least 5 years of work experience;
- Show a demonstrated commitment to promoting peace and prosperity in the Asia Pacific region, and a deep interest in experiential leadership development training.
- Professional work experience and achievement;
- Leadership track record in professional, public, and/or personal realms;
- International experience and aptitude, including overseas residence, language skills, intercultural and diversity exposure;
- Volunteer and community service experience;
- Asia Pacific engagement: evidence of knowledge of the region, as well as a demonstrated commitment to its future prosperity. This might include employment in the region, classes taken at University, languages spoken, memberships and fellowships, specific projects, field studies, and areas of research interest;
- Experience of cohort learning, working collaboratively in small teams or in large groups.
- In the application, there are fields in which the following pieces need to be uploaded or input directly in order to complete your application.
- Cover Letter
- Essay (questions on the application)
- 2 Email addresses of referees for Letters of Reference
- Official Transcripts and an official degree certificate for the highest degree you have obtained are required in order to complete your application to the APLP. These documents must be sealed and remain sealed in an envelope by the institution you attended and mailed to the EWC Leadership Program Office. Documents mailed or hand-carried by the applicant or a third party will not be accepted as official or used for admissions consideration unless they are contained in an envelope that has been sealed by the university. Send the package to:
Leadership Program (APLP)
1601 East-West Road
Honolulu, Hawaii 96848-1601