Deadline: October 27, 2017
Cumberland Lodge is please to announce the opening of applications for the Emerging International Leaders Program 2017/18. The Emerging International Leaders Programme on Freedom of Religion or Belief (FoRB) will equip future leaders and opinion formers with the skills and insight necessary to drive debate, influence policy and build a powerful global network. It responds to the fact that around three-quarters of the world’s population lives in countries that restrict such freedoms or fail to protect them. It aims to empower scholars to become advocates of human rights in their universities and home countries.
The program involves
- Three residential retreats at Cumberland Lodge;
- Multi-disciplinary discussion with academics, advocates, policymakers, and activists;
- Lectures, workshops, and peer-to-peer learning;
- An exploration of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the role and position of religion in the public square, religious literacy, and inter-faith dialogue;
- Analysis of practical responses to violations of FoRB worldwide.
Participants will look at Freedom of Religion or Belief in a contemporary, global context and have the opportunity to engage in a multi-disciplinary discussion with academics, advocates, policy makers, activists, and their peers.
Benefits of the Program
- Development of intellectual leadership skills;
- The chance to work collaboratively and build peer networks;
- Networking opportunities with senior academics and people in public life;
- Opportunities for intercultural exchange;
- Communications training
- Advocacy skills;
- Membership of an international alumni network for advocates of freedom of religion or belief and human rights;
- Free food, accommodation and a travel bursary for all residential retreats.
- The programme is open to postgraduate students who are scholars on the Commonwealth Scholarship Scheme and the Chevening Scholarship Scheme.
- Download the application form.
- Completed applications should be emailed to [email protected], with your Commonwealth or Chevening ID and full name in the subject line.
- Participants will be required to attend all three retreats, on the following dates in 2017 and 2018:
- December 15 – 17, 2017
- February 2 – 4, 2018
- April 6 – 8, 2018.
If you have any questions about the programme or the application process, please contact Dr Rachel Smillie, our Education Officer, by emailing: [email protected].
For more information, visit Cumberland Lodge Emerging International Leaders Program.