Apply for the THET Africa Grants Programme 2017–19 (£15,000 – £50,000 available)
Deadline: November 12, 2017
THET is pleased to announce a second round of grants under the Africa Grants Programme (AGP) with support from Johnson & Johnson. The AGP supports the training of health workers in low- and middle-income countries, through engaging partnerships between health organisations in the UK and Ireland and their counterparts in Africa.
Projects under the AGP 2017-19 Call for Applications must operate within LMICs in Africa and will focus on strengthening the healthcare workforce in one of the following two target areas:
- Stream 1: Surgical and Anaesthetic Care
This stream will focus on reducing morbidity and mortality from conditions requiring surgical intervention and/or enhancing patient safety as a result of improved anaesthetic care through the training of relevant health workers. The aim of this stream is to improve the access to, and availability of, quality surgery and/or anaesthetic care (particularly for maternal, neonatal or paediatric surgical conditions).
- Stream 2: Community Healthcare
This stream will focus on increasing the availability and quality of essential healthcare (including attended births) and health information to underserved populations, including women and children, by training those who work and serve in the community. The stream will focus on the training of cadres working in the community (Clinical Officers, Community Health Workers, etc.), which is in line with the national strategy and policies in-country. Partners will work at the rural and district level, outside the central hospital systems.
- Grants are available from £15,000 up to a maximum of £50,000;
- All funded projects are expected to last between 6 and 16 months. Project activities can be implemented from January 2018 until April 2019.
Core Requirements and Country Eligibility
- Grant recipients must be eligible organisations under this programme (see Q&A Document below);
- Applications must be made by eligible partnerships under this programme;
- Projects must fit within the parameters of either stream 1 or stream 2;
- Project budgets cannot exceed £50,000;
- Projects must operate within LMICs in Africa.
Project and Partnership Requirements
If the core requirements and country eligibility are met, applications will then be judged throughout the application process against the following criteria:
- The project is single, coherent and time-bound, and deliverable within the budget and timeline proposed and agreed with THET
- The project contributes to the overall purpose of the AGP
- The project is aligned with overseas country policies and plans
- The approach to the project is appropriate and relevant to the local context
- The project is based on recognised good practice
- The project considers how it will benefit women, children and underserved communities
- The project aims are clear and logical with a focus on measurable outcomes
- The project demonstrates value for money
- The partnership has the capacity to deliver the project
- The project effectively engages short- and/or long-term volunteers in order to deliver project activities.
- Download and complete the application form and budget template.
- Please also download the Q&A document for important information and examples on how to complete your application.
- The Grant Application Form and Budget Template should be completed and submitted in one email to [email protected] by midnight of November 12, 2017.
THET will deliver a pre-application webinar on October 9, 2017 from 12 to 1pm UK time to run through the purpose of the grant stream and the application process in more detail. Register here to participate.
For more information, visit THET Africa Grants Programme.