IIE Andrew Heiskell Awards for Innovation in International Education 2018
Deadline: October 13, 2017
Nominations are ongoing for the IIE Andrew Heiskell Awards for Innovation in International Education 2018. IIE’s Heiskell Awards showcase the most innovative and successful models for internationalization of campuses, study abroad, and international partnership programs in practice today.
Institute of International Education created these awards in 2001 to promote and honor the most out-standing initiatives being conducted in international higher education by IIENetwork member universities and colleges. They are particularly interested in highlighting innovative initiatives that address a specific need, remove institutional barriers, and broaden the base of participation in international teaching and learning on campus.
A winning initiative does not have to be the biggest or oldest. It should bring new approaches and new resources to bear on addressing a need or taking advantage of a new opportunity. By recognizing excellence and innovation, the Institute hopes to encourage the expansion and creation of programs based on these successful models.
The award is named in honour of Andrew Heiskell, a former chairman of Time Inc. and a member of the Executive Committee of IIE’s Board of Trustees. He was a renowned international and cultural philanthropist and a long-time supporter of international education. He died in July 2003 at his home in Darien, Connecticut.
- Category 1: Internationalizing the Campus
Advancing curriculum development, fostering international opportunities and creatively integrating international students into university life.
- Category 2: Study Abroad
Providing innovative programs and services to make study abroad accessible to a broader student population. Special emphasis on specific efforts that led to a strong increase in study abroad participation.
- Category 3: Best Practices in International Partnerships
Recognizing strategic, comprehensive and innovative international partnership efforts with emphasis on connecting globally through research opportunities.
- Category 4: Internationalizing the Community College
Creating innovative programs and services, including study abroad, to make international opportunities accessible to community college students.
- Winners will be presented with an award certificate and a $1,000 prize (shared by the winning institutions in the partnership categories).
- Winning programs will be recognized at IIE’s Best Practices Conference in NYC on March 16, 2018. All winning programs will be showcased on the IIENetwork website and in the IIENetworker magazine.
- Only IIENetwork member institutions are eligible to apply;
- AACC members are also eligible to apply for the Internationalizing the Community College category. For partnership categories, at least one of the partnering institutions must be an IIENetwork member.
- Download the nomination form
- Please e-mail your completed nomination, along with a letter of support from your institution’s President or Chief Academic Officer, to [email protected]
For more information, visit Andrew Heiskell Awards.