Calling Changemakers: Apply to become United Nations Young Leaders for the Sustainable Development Goals 2017
Deadline: November 3, 2017
Calling all changemakers, trailblazers and groundbreakers! The United Nations is looking for 17 young changemakers to become the 2017 UN Young Leaders for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Young Leaders are young change-makers whose leadership is catalyzing the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.
Convened by the Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth, these Young Leaders are recognized for their leadership and contribution to a more sustainable world. They will work with the Office of the UN Secretary General’s Envoy on Youth on efforts to engage young people in the realization of the Goals.
The Young Leaders come together as a community to support efforts to engage young people in the realization of the SDGs both through strategic opportunities with the UN and through their existing initiatives, platforms and networks. Young Leaders will be expected to actively support one or more of the following objectives:
- Advocate for the Goals, in ways most accessible and relatable to young people across different contexts;
- Promote innovative ways of engaging their audiences and peers in the advocacy and realization of the Goals;
- Contribute to a brain trust of young leaders supporting the UN and partners for key moments and initiatives related to the Goals.
- Young people who are genuinely leading fantastic initiatives which support the realization of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- They might be a chef, a designer, a campaigner or a blogger. They might know all about the Goals or nothing at all. The important thing is that they are leading an exciting initiative that helps to meet one of the Goals.
- Young Leaders must be aged 18-30 by 31 December, 2017.
Successful candidates will be selected based on the following considerations:
- Their demonstrated achievements in promoting and advancing sustainable development and youth participation;
- Their personal influence within their respective fields and reputation for inclusive and innovative leadership;
- The ability to command an audience, influence their contemporaries and inspire their constituents;
- Their demonstrated integrity, commitment to the SDGs and core values of the UN.
Here’s a breakdown of the selection process:
- Round 1 – Applications are open from 7 October to 3 November
- Round 2 – Qualified candidates are selected to go to the next round (see above for who qualifies to be a young leader).
- Round 3 – The selection committee reviews the applications and recommends the finalists.
- Round 4 – Selected finalists are contacted and interviewed
Finally, the Class of 2018 will announced!
Could you or someone you know be one of the next Young Leaders for the SDGs? Share this post with them now.
For more information, visit United Nations Young Leaders for the SDGs.