Deadline: November 1, 2017
Call for application is ongoing for the J. Paul Getty Trust Graduate Internship Program 2018-2019. The Graduate Internships are offered in the four programs of the J. Paul Getty Trust—the J. Paul Getty Museum, the Getty Research Institute, the Getty Conservation Institute, and the Getty Foundation, as well as in Getty Publications—to graduate students who intend to pursue careers in fields related to the visual arts. Training and work experience placements are available in areas such as curatorial, education, conservation, research, publications, information management, public programs, and grantmaking.
Internships are located at the Getty Center in Los Angeles or the Getty Villa in Malibu. All positions are full-time beginning September 10, 2018. Most internships are for eight months, ending May 17, 2019. Conservation and Publications internships are for twelve months, ending September 6, 2019.
- Grant amounts are $20,000 for eight months and $30,000 for twelve months, plus $1,000 towards relocation expenses. Housing is not provided;
- Support for research travel is available for up to $2,500;
- Graduate Interns are eligible to enroll in the Getty’s health care plan. Please note that grant funds may be subject to federal and state taxes and deductions.
- Internships are open to students of all nationalities;
- Applicants must be:
- Students currently enrolled in a graduate program (Masters or Doctorate) in a field relevant to the internship(s) for which they are applying or
- Individuals who have completed a relevant graduate degree on or after January 1, 2015, with postgraduate activities in their field, paid or unpaid.
Applicants are required to complete and submit the online Graduate Internship application form by 5:00p.m. Pacific Time on November 1, 2017. Materials received after the deadline will result in an incomplete application. Applications hand-delivered to the Getty Center or those sent by e-mail or fax will not be accepted.
As part of the application, you will need to prepare the following materials:
- Personal Statement: Your Personal Statement should consist of no more than 500 words (two double-spaced pages) that explain how your Getty internship selections (choose two in order of preference) fit with your background and career goals. Include the reasons for your choice of specific departments or programs for an internship. Also describe what you hope to achieve from the experience and what you believe you can contribute.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae: Current resumes are required for all applicants. Please limit resumes to five pages.
- Transcript(s)/Academic Records: They require transcripts/academic records for undergraduate degree/s (completed) and graduate degree/s (completed or in progress). Multiple transcripts must be combined into a single PDF before upload. Please be aware that they may request hardcopies of official transcripts/academic records at a later date in the evaluation process.
- If you graduated from a school outside of the United States, transcripts may be substituted with proof of completed courses and/or copies of diploma(s).
- If you are currently enrolled in a graduate program, provide proof of current enrollment (for example, your most recent transcript or academic record).
- Letters of Recommendation: Applicants must request two confidential letters of recommendation submitted directly by their recommenders through the application system. Please note that additional letters will not be considered. Letters must be received no later than 5:00p.m. Pacific Time on November 1, 2017. Typically, the most appropriate recommenders are university faculty members who can address your academic performance. Other recommenders may include past or current employers in relevant fields who are familiar with your skills and abilities.
To request letters of recommendation, provide the name and contact information of your recommenders in the “Letters of Recommendation” section of the online application. The Getty will automatically contact your recommenders via email through the application system. You will be able to monitor your account to confirm that the letters have been submitted.
For more information, visit Getty Foundation Graduate Internship Program.