AIF Innovation Prize for Africa Awards 2018 (Win a share of $185,000)
Deadline: January 10, 2018
The African Innovation Foundation (AIF) is now accepting applications for the seventh edition of the Innovation Prize for Africa (IPA), which will see innovators compete for a share of US$185,000 in prize money. The annual Award seeks to celebrate outstanding breakthroughs that deliver practical, and commercially viable African solutions that are innovative and sustainable.
This year’s Prize is themed “investing in inclusive innovation ecosystems” to reward the best home-grown innovations on the continent. It calls for African governments and innovation stakeholders to invest in building bridges for more inclusive ecosystems that will accelerate and scale African innovation at all levels of society. The aim is to increase access to innovative financing and know-how and to enhance collaboration between African nations to enable local innovators to access higher value markets for their solutions at a faster rate.
The Award is the leading innovation event on the African calendar, bringing together some of Africa’s most inspiring innovators and entrepreneurs, leaders of hubs and accelerators, angel and venture capital investors, development institutions, government leaders, media practitioners and other game changers.
The Prize focuses on the following Innovation areas:
- Agriculture and Agribusiness
- Environment, Energy and Water
- Health and Wellbeing
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs)
- Manufacturing and Service Industry
Each year, 10 nominees are selected through a rigorous and validated process driven by an expert panel of judges. Besides a host of exciting side events and brand new initiatives for Africa by Africans, IPA 2018 will offer the following prizes and incentives to winners and nominees:
- √ Grand prize of US$100 000
- √ Second Prize of US$25 000
- √ Special Prize for Social Impact US$25 000
- √ A voucher for each of the seven IPA nominees of US$5 000
- √ Additional incentives include investment opportunities, training and access to a vibrant network of innovation enablers, ongoing PR support and media coverage, and invitation to join ZuaHub.
- Open to African innovators who demonstrate scalable, impactful, market-oriented, and outstanding innovations solving African challenges
- Applications will be accepted from all Africans including those living in the diaspora.
- This edition encourages greater participation from women innovators who are increasingly playing a key role in driving African economies forward through business and entrepreneurship.
Complete your online application form.
IPA 2018 winners will be announced at an annual ceremony in July 2018 (exact dates and country to be confirmed).
For more information, visit AIF Innovation Prize for Africa.