Brenthurst Foundation Machel-Mandela Fellowship Programme 2018 (Funded)
Deadline: November 30, 2017
The Brenthurst Foundation is inviting applications from young graduates for the Machel-Mandela Fellowship Programme, named in honour of former South African President Nelson Mandela and his wife Graca Machel. The Machel-Mandela Fellowship programme aims to be the most prestigious of its kind in Africa. It helps sharpen the Brenthurst Foundation’s focus on Africa’s burgeoning youth population and helps nurture Africa’s future leaders.
The fellowship will be available full-time for a minimum of six months and the selected candidate will be expected to take up the appointment in April 2018. The fellow may be from Africa or abroad and will be based at the Brenthurst Foundation’s headquarters in Parktown, Johannesburg. Fellows will work directly with and assist the Foundation’s staff on a range of projects and activities, some of which will require foreign travel.
- An all-inclusive stipend per month and accommodation (subject to Foundation policy) will be provided. Other work–related expenses may also be covered subject to agreement with the Foundation.
- Applicants must be under 30 years of age;
- Have an Undergraduate or Masters level degree;
- Excellent spoken and written English. African and other languages an asset;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Enthusiastic and reliable, a self-starter who requires minimal oversight and management;
- Able to balance deadlines and attention to detail;
- Fluency in all basic IT skills;
- Copy-editing and proof-reading skills an asset;
- A passion for Africa and a keen interest in new thinking and strategies to strengthen Africa’s economic performance;
- Broad knowledge of African politics and economics;
- Familiarity with the work of the Brenthurst Foundation.
All applicants will need to send the following to Ms Leila Jack at [email protected] quoting ‘Machel-Mandela Fellow’ in the subject line:
- An up-to-date CV with references’ details;
- A covering letter – no more than 500 words, outlining your interest in the position and the skills you can bring to bear;
- A writing sample – this can be any piece of work, for example an essay or a published article, of any length;
- The earliest date you would be able to start;
- Details of where you saw the post advertised.
The deadline for applications is November 30, 2017. Owing to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not heard from organizers by January 15, 2018, please assume your application to be unsuccessful.
For more information, visit Brenthurst Foundation Machel-Mandela Fellowship.