Commons:Wiki Loves Africa Photo Competition 2017 (Prizes up to $1,800)
Deadline: November 30, 2017
Do you know you can donate your images, videos and audio to Wikipedia to give more coverage to subjects relating to Africa? Yes, you can do this through the Commons:Wiki Loves Africa Photo Competition. Wiki Loves Africa (WLA) is a public annual photo contest where people across Africa can contribute media (photographs, video and sound files) about their environment on Wikimedia Commons for use on Wikipedia and other project websites of the Wikimedia Foundation.
Wiki Loves Africa particularly encourages participants to contribute media that illustrate a specific theme for that year. Each year the theme changes and could focus on any such universal, visually rich and culturally specific topic (for example, markets, rites of passage, festivals, public art, cuisine, natural history, urbanity, daily life, notable persons, etc).
The theme for the 2017 Photo Contest is Wiki Loves Africa People at work. The competition scope is: The theme calls for photographs, videos and audio files that document all manner of occupations undertaken across the continent – formal and informal, contemporary and ancient, business-oriented and creative.
- 1st Prize: US$600
- 2nd Prize: US$400
- 3rd Prize: US$200
- Organizer Prize: US$200
- Photo Essay Prizes: Women Working US$200
- Photo Essay Prizes: Rare, Fading or Threatened Traditional Craft, Style or Way of Working US$200
- Additional prizes in each category: a Wiki Loves Africa powerpack + t-shirt
- All photos must be taken by the person submitting them. They can be either self-uploaded or uploaded during a registered mass upload session;
- You can enter media that was taken at any time, even historical photographs (as long as you own the copyright on these photographs). Uploads can only be done from October 1, 2017 to November 30, 2017;
- Images must be free of watermarks or embedded signatures to be eligible. All entries will automatically be submitted under a free licence such as Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 (CC-BY-SA 4.0) (or in the public domain);
- All eligible pictures will be categorised under Images from Wiki Loves Africa 2017, this will be automatically assigned during the upload process. (Feel free to add other relevant category descriptions to make the images more usable.)
- Participants must enable e-mail on Wikimedia Commons so they can be contacted should their image be chosen for a prize.
- Create a login account here to submit your photos.
- There will be 4 winning pictures, announced before the end of February 2018