Reach Cambridge Scholarship Essay Competition 2018
Deadline: December 1, 2017
Entries are now being accepted for the Reach Cambridge Scholarship Essay Competition 2018. The Scholarship Essay Competition is designed for academically excellent high school students aged between 15 and 17 who would otherwise not be able to attend Reach Cambridge’s summer programs. Reach Cambridge offers excellence in residential academic programs based in the historic and beautiful city of Cambridge, UK.
The essay question for this year’s scholarship competition is: “In an age of quick and easy global communication, what is the value of face-to-face interaction and learning with students from around the world?”
To craft a good essay requires careful argumentation, clear structure and personality. It is these characteristics that they will look for in judging applicants’ essays. They will also take into account the letter of recommendation supplied by your school.
- First Prize: 3 week scholarship prize (awarded to a maximum of 2 students): 100% of the program fee for the 3 week Program 1 in 2018.
- Second Prize: 2 week scholarship prize (awarded to a maximum of 3 students): 100% of the program fee for either the two week Program 2 or the two week Program 3 in 2018.
- The prizes provide without charge all those items ordinarily covered by the program fee, including accommodation, all excursions, lectures, theatre trips, workshops and tuition, and half board meals.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 15 and 17 on July 1, 2018, and currently studying at high school;
- The students must complete the essays independently – they must be original non-plagiarised work;
- Applicants from fee-paying schools will only be considered if their letter of recommendation confirms that they attend the school on a scholarship.
- Begin your application here;
- From your main account page, select the “Scholarship” tab on the left;
- Copy your essay into the box provided (it should be no longer than 1000 words). Answer all other questions on the page.
- A letter of recommendation from a member of staff at your school must be uploaded using the form in the Scholarship Tab of your account page. This should be written on official headed school paper, and should outline why you are a good candidate for the scholarship: it should tell Reach Cambridge what makes you academically excellent, and it must give them some indication of your financial circumstances. For example, if you attend a fee-paying school, the letter must specify whether you attend the school on a scholarship, or whether you are full or part fee-paying. It must include contact details for the member of staff so that Reach Cambridge can contact them for further information if necessary. This is the only part of the application that should come from your school – the rest needs to be completed by you.
- You must also complete the School Transcript, Declaration Form, Parent Info, and School Info sections of your account. Please note that if you do not complete all these sections of your application, they will not consider your application. They should all be “ticked” on your account page before the deadline.
- Application closes on December 1, 2017
- Shortlisted candidates will be notified by December 31, 2017
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an online interview in early January 2018, and will be notified of the outcome by the end of January.
For more information, visit Reach Cambridge Scholarship Essay Competition.