Apply: Global Sustainability Fellows Program 2018
Deadline: December 4, 2017
Applications are now open for the Global Sustainability Fellows (GSF) Program 2018. The GSF Program seeks to inspire, prepare, and mobilize future international leaders to tackle urgent sustainability challenges facing the planet. It represents a unique opportunity for transformative personal growth, with a dynamic curriculum focused on sustainability, systems thinking, and community development. As such, fellows are required to stay for the entirety of the program, which will take place from June 16 – July 7, 2018.
Fellows will be expected to participate in a remote orientation program, which will include readings, short assignments, and Skype meetings, representing a commitment of 1-2 hours per week for six weeks, beginning in late April. Following the summer session, fellows will be expected to complete a “concept note” for an independent project that will demonstrate application of the tools they acquired during the summer. Fellows will be supported in this effort through mentorship by GSF faculty.
- Fellows’ room, board, and program fees will be covered entirely by The GSF;
- Fellows will only be responsible for airfare to and from Israel, and pocket money for snacks or souvenirs during field trips or nights out. A limited number of need-based travel stipends may be available.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are entering, currently enrolled, or recently graduated from (within one year) an accredited graduate-level program. However, applications from other highly skilled individuals with unique life experiences or backgrounds will be accepted. Applications from underrepresented countries and communities are encouraged.
- Interdisciplinary work is central to the GSF approach. Students of all disciplines are encouraged to apply, regardless of their familiarity with the sustainability field.
- To apply for the GSF Program, please submit the following via the fill-in application form
- Prepare the following materials:
- A resume (approximately one page)
- A 1-2 page personal statement (single-spaced, 12-point font, standard margins) answering the following questions:
- Tell us a little bit more about you: What are you passionate about? What are you committed to? What inspires you?
- Why would you like to attend the GSF Program?
- What will you bring to the group?
- Three short answers (roughly 250 words or less) to the following questions:
- In your opinion, what is the most challenging sustainability issue we are facing as a planet? Explain.
- Tell us about an interesting, transformative, or perhaps even difficult experience you have had living and/or working in a group, or with a culture different from your own. What did it teach you about yourself and about working with others?
- Answer one of the following: Describe a situation where you had to “think outside the box.” How did you come to the solution you came to? OR Describe a situation where you successfully resolved a conflict.
- Names, emails and phone numbers for two professional references. These should be people who know you well, and can speak to both your academic performance and your ability to work in a group.
- Applications must be submitted by December 4, 2017;
- Applicants who have made it to the 2nd round will be informed by December 31;
- Skype interviews will be conducted in January;
- Accepted applicants will be notified by January 31, 2018.
For more information, visit Global Sustainability Fellows Program.